Marvelous Designer

Started by luvsmuzik, September 21, 2018, 12:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I downloaded the trial version. Except that it crashes often because I have the incompatible Intel graphics, I could go to town and back with this software.

Presets with revised  clothing from existing patterns.

I should ask archonforest this, can I add another card compatible?

https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/product/overview

archonforest

Not sure if I am tracking here. You have a desktop PC with integrated Intel graphics and you asking if you can install a dedicated card? If this is the question my answer is yes. You can install a dedicated card.

Let me know if the above answered your question.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

luvsmuzik

That is my question. Thank you for your answer. I have desktop 16G with Intel 630?? It does everything except let the cat out. Videos, streams, etc, etc.

The MD software describes some minimum requirements and I am not sure of what I have available is enough. Would I have to change my whole system or could card be just assigned to certain program?

archonforest

In the minimum requirements they mentioning a dedicated graphics card and since you don't have one that might cause the crash. It seems that you will have to buy and install a dedicated graphics card if you want to use this software. The 16Gb ram u got sounds okay. Not sure about your cpu though. The minimum they asking is an i5 on 2.4Ghz so if you have something slower the work might be unpleasant.

archonforest

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 21, 2018, 03:17:09 PM
i7, 3.6ghz

This sounds pretty okay.
Then the only thing u need is a dedicated VGA card.

luvsmuzik

I will have to check it out. This unit still on warranty for awhile.
Somehow in first render I had set AA at 0. This one is MPD 0.6 AA6 It is a fun program.

Dune

These folds look pretty good. Interesting to see you experiment. I may need to have a look at it too.
Can you drape clothes around a pre-posed figure? Or is it that you design the clothes and put it on a T-base figure (like in DAZ), then pose, and the folds will set to it?

luvsmuzik

There are several great tutorials on their site.
Product is very compatible with Zbrush and Daz from the literature. If you can make a short collada animation from your pose, that will import along with your object avatar. Their example started with a short animation in the T pose, which you would design your pattern to fit, then set sewing lines and sew. You run the simulation that drapes the clothing, then you can in 3D simulation run your collada to pose, then pull, tack and adjust. This is where the powerful video card is required. Patterns can be designed in symmetry and manipulated for correct normals. Settings for gravity and wind, texture for bump and pattern for color, similar to other programs. Preset library of assets, avatars and poses, quite a variety, but simple poses.

I am not sure about compatibility of the latest release with older versions of Windows OS. but there are older versions of Designer available it seems. I am on the trial version, but if I had the video card power, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Dune

Thanks, Luvs. Something to ponder again.

WAS

Looking into this program it doesn't seem like too powerful of a GPU would be required. It seems you could get by with a multimedia GPU. RX 550 for 100 bucks would do great with it, from what I can tell. Could even go cheaper into the EVGA realm of 50 buck GPUs. I say this cause the system requirements aren't too extreme, and my RX 480 is speedy as can be with this software and it's a year+ old flagship.

RX 550 (best bet for buck; supports 4k texture streaming and the like; basically a mimic of their high-ends with less memory and clock speed): https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16435426776431504907?q=RX+550&client=firefox-b-1-ab&biw=1920&bih=966&prds=hsec:online,paur:ClkAsKraX1rKfOTeMMn0XX5tUOCyPdZuMdmhcaCVfTUBbYB-VxrNaULcwEY6vEEgUuBBp23OkuInHK7KcrjWNcUUcrdQ0Vhl69ljO6WTloX13ARhv0QSsxZ_iBIZAFPVH73d1Sep9ydGtNoBZP88E0vGcD1Xew&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8jJ7Lnc_dAhWqsVQKHbAeBCYQ2SsIFg
Nvidia GT 1030 (may be slow): https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15023898962901569330?q=nvidia+GT+1030&client=firefox-b-1-ab&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX8TZijzvkKEvmLQwpyTEk8feMYgzqMRD5-J37o_0RQVU84CF68PkQ-5amEtc-lxU9FGMQQZ3TTYn00jUykIqgj5U_ASqyZi7CrpFYuzUUcaMivPaNxIZAFPVH72YwBJoxXG3_inOmK1Nr3VrRuWxSQ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmkcC1nc_dAhUCFXwKHcfoBDUQ8wIImAQ

In general, both these cards will perform better than intel's IGP. Just for videos and what not before Marvelous Designer.

luvsmuzik

This is all good to know WASasquatch. Thanks!

Talked with my gamer son and he may find me something used or rebuilt that is doable. Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody.....
I hate to invest big bucks for a card for a program, besides extended warranty loss. All I read is about that it must have a good cooling capability too. But it might make a big difference in Blender updates and improvements as well as Terragen.

WAS

Quote from: luvsmuzik on September 22, 2018, 07:43:11 PM
This is all good to know WASasquatch. Thanks!

Talked with my gamer son and he may find me something used or rebuilt that is doable. Everybody knows somebody who knows somebody.....
I hate to invest big bucks for a card for a program, besides extended warranty loss. All I read is about that it must have a good cooling capability too. But it might make a big difference in Blender updates and improvements as well as Terragen.

A used card would do good, perhaps, some people let them go for cheap. I sold a HD6950 when it was still top of the line for half price. The thing with that though is you get no warranty with the card. Even a rebuilt card can run fine for 5 minutes and just black out. I've gone through that many many times. Which is why I buy name brand flag ships now. And even than, I had to have this RX 480 replaced only a month in due to color issues in rendering. And of course, sure glad the unit was covered for replacement and wasn't another nearly 300 bucks. At this point I can't afford another card for some time so this one better last xD

luvsmuzik

Quote from: WASasquatch on September 22, 2018, 11:27:02 PM

A used card would do good, perhaps, some people let them go for cheap. I sold a HD6950 when it was still top of the line for half price. The thing with that though is you get no warranty with the card. Even a rebuilt card can run fine for 5 minutes and just black out. I've gone through that many many times. Which is why I buy name brand flag ships now. And even than, I had to have this RX 480 replaced only a month in due to color issues in rendering. And of course, sure glad the unit was covered for replacement and wasn't another nearly 300 bucks. At this point I can't afford another card for some time so this one better last xD

Yes, we are going to see about another whole unit to rebuild rather than crack my 16G right now. His company uses architectural software and they replace units occasionally. Had I known I would have got something a little different when i got this newest one. I should have asked a few more questions before purchase but eye rolling clerks give me a pain, lol. My other alternative is to buckle down and use Blender no matter how complex it is.  :)  In three days, I have redone 6 dresses with MD opposed to very slow modelling in Blender due to trial and error. In real life, in my glory days, I could cut the pattern and sew a lined jacket with buttons in a day.  >:(  My sister thinks I have OCD, no I just work hard, lol.

luvsmuzik

I SEW NEED THIS
Easy UV