New series of river works

Started by Dune, September 22, 2018, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Thanks all. Some new WIP's; with larger trees on the islands (mmm), just shrub (better), and a change of sunlight to evening. Used a voronoi island setup this time, mixing 2 sizes and a PF mask, with some adjustable smaller 'cross-bar streams' (cracks, basically). That works a bit better. I think less waves would be nicer, and smooth reflections of course.
They still render pretty quick (1hr) at 0.6 AA6, soft shadows, upped subdivison level to 0.5 and v3 cloud.

archonforest

I think the large tree version is a no no. They are kinda blocking the view. 2nd and 3rd are spectacular!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

mhaze

Great work but would there really be so much foam around the edges in such a placid looking river?

Dune

No, you're right. I was already thinking about changing it into washed up debris, so darker colored stuff.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 24, 2018, 02:48:01 AM
Thanks all. Some new WIP's; with larger trees on the islands (mmm), just shrub (better), and a change of sunlight to evening. Used a voronoi island setup this time, mixing 2 sizes and a PF mask, with some adjustable smaller 'cross-bar streams' (cracks, basically). That works a bit better. I think less waves would be nicer, and smooth reflections of course.
They still render pretty quick (1hr) at 0.6 AA6, soft shadows, upped subdivison level to 0.5 and v3 cloud.

Shrubs are better, only the odd tree would grow and nearer the center of the sandbars where they could extend roots enough to keep them upright. Maybe a fallen one near the edge of a sand bar being slowly reclaimed by erosion of the river...I like the evening setting...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Though it does somewhat look like a spring river, somewhat flooded? Maybe just me.

DocCharly65

The last two with the lower vergetation (shrubs) looks better in my eyes. Very beautiful evening mood version!

Dune

Seems like they (client) wants something completely different than this.... we'll see what it is to be...

Anway, another thing; does this look like a decent autumn tundra to you? Not too bright?

cyphyr

I think the brightness is fine for autum colours but I would use a depth pass to desaturate the more distance parts.
Looking good.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Agree with Richard..but it is very autumnly.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sboerner

QuoteThanks all. Some new WIP's; with larger trees on the islands (mmm), just shrub (better), and a change of sunlight to evening.

Looks like I'm going to be the sole voice in favor of the first version with the trees. This type of terrain is very familiar to me and looks pretty close to being right. I grew up in Nebraska, which has perhaps the best example of a braided stream in the continental U.S. with the Platte River. Lots of sandbars and trees (and trees on sandbars) in an otherwise tall grass prairie (now cultivated) landscape.

Tree species matter – if my memory serves they include cottonwood, honeylocust and willow.

I say go with it!  :D

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 06, 2018, 11:15:17 AM
Seems like they (client) wants something completely different than this.... we'll see what it is to be...

Anway, another thing; does this look like a decent autumn tundra to you? Not too bright?

Perhaps tighten up the orange, with some boundary dark bushes. Tundras seem to have a lot of different types of ground cover, some of it is very "temperate" leaning and stays a evergreen without seasons.

This image shows a bit of the pine-like brush and darker ground cover you'd get up there: https://www.thoughtco.com/thmb/Ry2HM_gKoyPhCqMG1ivR19EPDSc=/768x0/filters:no_upscale():max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/92292471-56a005035f9b58eba4ae83e0.jpg

Dune

Thanks guys. Steve; the river is off, as they probably want a sea estuary knocking down the sandy elevation (they still have to find out the probable 'reality'), but I've found sandbars popuated with trees on the web as well. Thanks.
Richard; good idea, though I can do that with a distance shader, which saves me the passes.
Nice image, Was. Lots of color (gradations) indeed.

sboerner

QuoteThanks guys. Steve; the river is off, as they probably want a sea estuary knocking down the sandy elevation (they still have to find out the probable 'reality'), but I've found sandbars popuated with trees on the web as well. Thanks.

Appreciate the explanation. (I wondered why some of the river banks seemed so steep.) Good luck with the client and project.

Dune

There's a pretty large (5x30k) bank of sand in the south of our country, elevated to about 12m by interglacial erosion and weather. I know it sounds ridiculous in global terms, but this is an important area to visualize for these guys. I struggled with the trees, as you don't see the bank at all, only that small part. So I hope they want it eroded by sea, with no trees  ;)