New series of river works

Started by Dune, September 22, 2018, 08:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Test from another series, but also about water. Needs work, as I want the white flowers on the right to 'sprout' from fake waterplants, without grass being present there. And a better distribution for the yellow flowers.

DocCharly65

Great view.
I like the breadth of the landscape.

dorianvan

Nice placement of everything and colors look great, especially the sagebrush. The one thing is the near horses could use a little variation, they are all the same tannish. Maybe add some random spots or something to the whole group.
-Dorian

Dune

Thanks guys. The horses do have some random added variation, but you may be right it could be a little more. I don't really know about these przewalski-like wild horses, but they were probably a bit varied indeed.

Dune

Here's a crop of another scene is this series I'm working on. Still some things to do....

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 20, 2018, 07:18:46 AM
Here's a crop of another scene is this series I'm working on. Still some things to do....

cool scene and lots of potential for other set ups...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 12, 2018, 01:56:20 PM
Thanks guys. The horses do have some random added variation, but you may be right it could be a little more. I don't really know about these przewalski-like wild horses, but they were probably a bit varied indeed.
I guess a good question is if they are/we're part of domesticated breeds. That's where the colours came from from breeding sub species

Dune

Yes. At that time they were purely wild horses, with likely only minor color differences.

Here's another scene, rendered with PT. I was wondering about the reflection being so soft. The water is 100% smooth, so I would expect a hard reflection (like in RT), unless it's a 'long exposure render'. Added some photo's as refs.
Or maybe I forgot to set a variable again?

WAS

I remember Matt, or Oshyan mentioning something about PT being able to achieve softer reflections. I wonder if this is something that is currently hard coded for testing purposes? It'd be odd if the path tracing muddles the reflections that much.

It's so soft it looks like the water is frozen itself, aside form the actual ice. Reminds me of the flash freeze (or maybe it's slow? we don't get ice often but when we do it's usually cause we suddenly dipped well below freezing) ice we get here overnight that's totally translucent.

DocCharly65

I remember the same what WASasquatch says, but I'm still remaining on 4.1x and didn't test PT so far.

Did I miss the description somewhere? Are the last renders in your project about salt production?

Dune

Nope, this should depict a sandy floor, with puddles of water, and higher banks of hard seaclay (where the veggies reside), like a tidal area. But maybe the sand should be brown-greyer, I'll have to ask the client (specific location, you know).

DocCharly65

uups... :)
Thanks for the explanation.
I thought it could be a salt crust due to a few sharp edges I thought I have seen.

Oshyan

With PT you currently control base reflection softness with the Min Highlight Spread (in Water Shader's Reflections tab). It uses very small values. 0 will give you the perfectly sharp reflections you want.

- Oshyan

Dune

Ah, I thought I'd forgotten something. Remember that now, indeed. Thanks Oshyan.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 21, 2018, 05:24:22 AM
Nope, this should depict a sandy floor, with puddles of water, and higher banks of hard seaclay (where the veggies reside), like a tidal area. But maybe the sand should be brown-greyer, I'll have to ask the client (specific location, you know).

I should take some low-tide pictures of this sea-grass fields and it's silt/mud and ponds for ya if I can before I leave this park. This is high tide here by the lagoons creek, which is a high-tide creek. May help with projects near and future. Tide is currently going out during sunset so not a good photo.