RTX Shadows from DPL

Started by WAS, September 22, 2018, 11:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Really cool RTX work with shadows in the game "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" (haha).

I am genuinely curious if this is more cost effective over 2D shadow maps and RTX lighting as apposed to shadows. From my experience with gaming at lease, shadows being baked are pretty expensive which is why on lower end system first thing they advise is turn down shadow detail and resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L1vSSDi_38

I really can't wait until lighting is overhauled in TG.

Dune

That is quite a difference. Though I think the shadows are a bit too soft. That way they distract less from the action, and it's nicer/smoother, but I'm not sure whether it's like in reality.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on September 23, 2018, 01:52:40 AM
That is quite a difference. Though I think the shadows are a bit too soft. That way they distract less from the action, and it's nicer/smoother, but I'm not sure whether it's like in reality.

I was noticing the same thing, it was particularly noticeable with the direct filtered lights around the dancers, as it was coming down on them at an angle, and showed no signs of that, just an overall blur. I think that part of the rendering is omitted for it to really be "playable" in a game.