Heightfield Generate - Number of Points

Started by WAS, September 24, 2018, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Why does the number of points not follow the heightmap location?

Quote from: Planetside WikiNumber of points: This sets the number of points, or resolution, of the heightfield. This doesn't control the area the heightfield covers, that is done with the Size in metres param.

Number of Points: 1000
[attach=1]

Number of Points: 2048
[attach=2]

From what I can see, it literally, exponentially, alters the area the heightfield covers. Not in size maybe, but location, which is most certainly part of it's area. Heightfield is at 0,0,0 with a position center for shader.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on September 24, 2018, 06:20:01 PM
Please send us a TGD.

Here is the TGD, though when loaded and generated from scratch it appears to be at 0,0,0 like it should be

I upped scale from 1000 to 2048 on the heightfield generate after many erosion generations/testing and that's when it just shifted km away.

Matt

It might be something that only happens when there are multiple HF nodes. It's easy to crash Terragen if changing the size while the erosion is in progress, so I wonder if it's related to that somehow.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on September 24, 2018, 08:45:41 PM
It might be something that only happens when there are multiple HF nodes. It's easy to crash Terragen if changing the size while the erosion is in progress, so I wonder if it's related to that somehow.

Yeah I've actually experienced crashes a few times now working with multiple HF nodes. Sometimes the erode will just CTD mid progress.