CPU slow-down with Heightfield Generate

Started by WAS, September 24, 2018, 08:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm also experience super slow CPU utilization when generating a heightfield from shaders.

It's been chugging along for about 15 minutes now at 45%.

Matt

HF generate is only single-threaded at the moment. But 15% after 15 minutes is painfully slow. Is it a complex network?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on September 24, 2018, 08:47:23 PM
HF generate is only single-threaded at the moment. But 15% after 15 minutes is painfully slow. Is it a complex network?

Perhaps too much. I was curious at the diffference, and also wanted to try your erode formula on it. In retrospect, I should have disabled the lateral effect.

93% now.

WAS

Erosion was nice and speedy on the finally finished heightmap.

Matt

After all that waiting I hope you save the (uneroded) .ter for further work!

WAS

Quote from: Matt on September 24, 2018, 10:08:43 PM
After all that waiting I hope you save the (uneroded) .ter for further work!

I wish I could!

Matt

Why can't you? Right click on the heightfield generate node and select "Save file as..." then save to .TER

WAS

Quote from: Matt on September 25, 2018, 04:55:34 AM
Why can't you? Right click on the heightfield generate node and select "Save file as..." then save to .TER

Wait... really? And here I have, for years (I mean literally almost a decade... Lol), thought heightfield exporting was part of a shader and paid licenses.

Kinda off-topic question, but does the generate feature read lateral displacement or is it omitted? It's a little hard to tell with the generated map, i guess resolution. I ask cause even when selecting where you want a generate to drop, it will drop before a compute terrain.

Oshyan

Heightfields can't store any lateral information, they are height only, single value for each pixel. Any "overhangs" will be flattened, essentially.

- Oshyan