Badlands Landscape WIP

Started by WAS, September 25, 2018, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Detailed badlands leading up some desolate mountains landscape wip.

Sorta a pain to work with, this preview render, MPD 0.5 / AA 2 took 44 minutes.  My poor little A10-5800k. I imagine with overcast type clouds and MPD 0.6 / AA 6 will be about a 6+ hour render. :O

DocCharly65

Really convincing badlands!
I don't have typical badlands in my mind in this moment but what about some areas of withered grass and bushes?

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on September 25, 2018, 01:39:03 AM
Really convincing badlands!
I don't have typical badlands in my mind in this moment but what about some areas of withered grass and bushes?

At this height I doubt you'd be able to make them out which is why there is such variation in the colour of the veggies. This is a 10km valley about, super large. Though admittedly besides the mountains not a lot giving it scale.

Maybe some remnant forest ditribution, though I do have other intentions for this that would require it to be void of objects. Least the ones I have.

mhaze

WAS

Here is the same terrain piped through the Heightfield Generate, and than eroded. It's soooo much faster to render, presumably as a solid terrain, or because of the lack of lateral.

Literally took 14 minutes at MPD 0.6 / AA 6 compared to 44 minutes at MPD 0.5 / AA 2

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on September 25, 2018, 04:38:07 AM
Like the first one a lot.

me too although the last eroded one has some charm as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Good start - interesting texture on the mountains.  All displacements, I presume?
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on September 25, 2018, 04:17:58 PM
Good start - interesting texture on the mountains.  All displacements, I presume?

Intersection zones on depressions.

Here is a closer shot. I actually raised the scales of the colour PF by 1000m cause it was too noisy from a distance. More probably a symptom of AA limitations.