Gradient Hacks

Started by efflux, October 18, 2007, 03:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

You have to bear in mind that the graph in the file I supplied is a creative gradient. It does not simply blend all the colours like a standard gradient which is not so easy to create anyway and not easy to change. I'm trying to find interesting ways of blending colours. If you study the graph you will see what's going on. I could create a more standard gradient with these hacks but it would never be right anyway so I'm playing with odd things.

mogn

In the Node Reference you find:

Mix colour mixes colours on a component-wise basis. The Mix controller can be either a colour or a scalar:

Output.red = Input.red and Input 2.red mixed by the Mix controller's red value
Output.green = Input.green and Input 2.green mixed by the Mix controller's green value
Output.blue = Input.blue and Input 2.blue mixed by the Mix controller's blue value

Volker Harun

cyphyr

My brain hurts, I'm confused and I don't understand. The world has gone all psychedelic and I don't know why. Did someone spike my coffee?
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

efflux

Awesome mogn  ;D.

I never thought of that one.

Using this fact (we can blend using a fractals two colour gradient), we can blend the area between each colour in the gradient with a fractal but the main fractal is still controlling the whole shape. Also, try sending fractals to the saturation control. Another test image coming next.

You're idea doesn't follow the shape of one fractal though mogn, for lots of colours but blended with other experiments it is cool.

efflux

I messed with the idea of plugging fractals into the mixing of each colour in the gradient. Then got into some sine functions:

Volker Harun

I am into it ... do not tell my wife, but! ,-)

Edit: Okay, using mogn's effective setup. Those Powerfractals are doing some displacements, too.
Nice effect is to plug a powerfractal into the saturation function for some differences in saturation.

I am going to love it!

efflux

It's funny. You start doing one thing that leads to something completely different. I started this planet called Sines. Supposed to be further exploring the sine functions you see above. Now "Sines" doesn't have a single sine function in it but comprises geometric grids eveywhere.

Volker Harun

I think the Merge shader is more versatile than the mix colour node.

efflux

Yes, I've used the merge shader a few times. I used it to blend different gradients together since you have more blending modes (but even more would be nice). Wait until you see my next planet. The first one utilizing multiple colour gradients. You will see why this is at the top of my list for being properly hard coded in. Don't hold your breath though. This planet is a biggie. The biggest thing I've attempted so far. Hundreds of nodes. A lot to do. I need to distort the sines more. We have no sine basis in a fractal so limitations there. I started sines then went geometric cityscape shapes, now I have grids of sine towers covered in psychedelic gradients. It's crazy. No WIP shots. I want to shock you with this one.  :o

Volker Harun

I am looking forward to it.

I swapped the Scale Vector on top of the sine-functions with a powerfractal which is very nice, to get some curves and different sizes. And finally managed to paint the patches between those sines differently - always wanted to do this ,-)
It will be a very simple and different looking render ...

After that I'll need a break, but'll watch eagerly.

efflux

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of. Mostly sine functions:

http://armands.pandromeda.com/MojoWorlds06/SineWarriors-ReadyForFight.jpg

We have a limitation in that we don't get sine as a basis in a fractal for all the octaves but we should be able to distort. Any time I post a link to an example of crazy functions or simply great creative use of functions, it will usually be Armands the master. It's an interesting experiment to see how far we can go it TG2 which is quite FAR.

I love sines. I think the flowing repetitious nature is beautiful.

I was trying to work out how to explain my city grid thing in simple terms. I don't want to give descriptions or screenshot of total complexity. I'll get back to that one soon though.

efflux

I must admit I haven't actually tried distorting the sines much yet. My planet is very regulated. I'm hoping to pull distorting tricks out the hat later.

efflux

Check this out:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_155/file_1543976.jpg

It's by Alex_NICO. A Mojo artist who is still doing interesting things. In fact in my opinion the only artist left who, when you see his posts, gives you something truly interesting and unique with Mojo. This is pure sine functions but volumetric. The volumetric bit is cool but not crucial but you see that Mojo has a lot of power despite very poor technical limits on actually using it (UI hell). Our main problem here is that we can not get all those octaves of sine from a fractal. However it has been said that more basis functions will be added for fractal control in TG2. Here's hoping.

Cyber-Angel

Efflux,

You know the outstanding issues as far as needed features that TG2 needs as far as bias functions and so forth that are not in TG2 at this time better than most, have you considered posting formal feature requests for them to see weather or not they'd be possible to included at some point down the road?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel