Uninstall frontier build?

Started by luvsmuzik, September 28, 2018, 07:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

I recently installed the frontier update on my older unit. It is only 4G. I rendered an old TG4 file successfully although it took 4 hours at MPD 0.6 AA4. I tried to increase the AA to 6 today and my system has crashed 3 times already. That was the only variable I changed in the file, but it was using robust path tracing and clouds with voxel set at 100. The clouds rendered fine, but system crashed each time about 20% of terrain displacement rendering.

question: If I uninstall the update, can I reinstall at TG4 Creative version with license priviledges? (Although I could probably make do with trial version except for populations and image size.)

Matt

Yes. Uninstalling any version of Terragen will leave your license intact. You can then reinstall 4.2 and you license should be found automatically.

100 million voxels is probably too high for a 4 Gb system. It probably isn't anything wrong with 4.3 frontier build.

If you took this from one of my recent recommendations, I wrote "voxel scattering quality (in GI Settings)", which is very different.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

I would also not recommend using the path tracer on your setup. It's not giving you much benefit in the test scenes I have seen that you've posted, and will really increase render time. In the future it should be more optimized and may be a better choice then, but for now you probably won't get a lot out of testing it. Appreciate that you are though, as no one else has yet noticed or posted tests. :D

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Matt on September 28, 2018, 05:57:28 PM
Yes. Uninstalling any version of Terragen will leave your license intact. You can then reinstall 4.2 and you license should be found automatically.

100 million voxels is probably too high for a 4 Gb system. It probably isn't anything wrong with 4.3 frontier build.

If you took this from one of my recent recommendations, I wrote "voxel scattering quality (in GI Settings)", which is very different.

Okay, I did not know about the glass shader issue when I installed latest frontier, so that was one reason about that question of uninstalling.
I had it set at 100 for voxel count and also 100 for GI scattering. I use 80 count standard usually anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I know you test retest and test again before a release. Build seems to work fine on the 16G.

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Oshyan on September 28, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
I would also not recommend using the path tracer on your setup. It's not giving you much benefit in the test scenes I have seen that you've posted, and will really increase render time. In the future it should be more optimized and may be a better choice then, but for now you probably won't get a lot out of testing it. Appreciate that you are though, as no one else has yet noticed or posted tests. :D

- Oshyan
Thanks for looking and the reply Oshyan. I am on the fence about a new video card so I am pushing the limits on the Intel 16G right now too. Hobbies can get expensive! I may have to just stay at a level that works best. :)

Dune

Quoteas no one else has yet noticed or posted tests. :D

Sorry Oshyan, a bit busy now...

luvsmuzik

Matt "Yes. Uninstalling any version of Terragen will leave your license intact. You can then reinstall 4.2 and you license should be found automatically."

Success! Thanks!

Oshyan

The glass shader issue *only* occurs with the new Path Tracer rendering system, which is still in development and *not* recommended for regular use. If you use the old, normal rendering method, the glass shader renders the same as it used to. So no need to uninstall for that.

Also Terragen doesn't use the graphics card for any part of the rendering process, so testing the path tracer or other high settings is not really going to help you determine if a new graphics card is needed. I'm not sure if that was what you meant when you mentioned that though.

Ulco, I didn't mean you, the path tracing builds are public now so a lot more people have access. I'm just surprised more people aren't testing it out, but probably most aren't aware it's there as we have (intentionally) not made a big fanfare of it yet.

- Oshyan

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Oshyan on September 29, 2018, 05:13:38 PM
The glass shader issue *only* occurs with the new Path Tracer rendering system, which is still in development and *not* recommended for regular use. If you use the old, normal rendering method, the glass shader renders the same as it used to. So no need to uninstall for that.

Also Terragen doesn't use the graphics card for any part of the rendering process, so testing the path tracer or other high settings is not really going to help you determine if a new graphics card is needed. I'm not sure if that was what you meant when you mentioned that though.

- Oshyan

Oh "whew" then about the glass shader issue. Not a problem. Only uninstalled on the smaller unit anyway.

Graphics card issue then is not related to Terragen either, good to know.

Just being my normal self, screen pops up, Update Available....okay,,, download... :)

Thanks!

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on September 29, 2018, 05:13:38 PM
Ulco, I didn't mean you, the path tracing builds are public now so a lot more people have access. I'm just surprised more people aren't testing it out, but probably most aren't aware it's there as we have (intentionally) not made a big fanfare of it yet.

- Oshyan

<.< *Stares at 4.2* Why you not let me know 4.2?

Might be why. I didn't get a notification again. Though I'm on freeware.