White / Blue Spots in Shaded Terrain?

Started by RichTwo, September 29, 2018, 03:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

When rendering terrains with multiple (not excessive) displacements, I am getting tiny white and blue spots that show only on the shaded of the terrain.  I have the displacement tolerance set at 2, far as the slider will go, and Enviro Light at 2.5 strength on surfaces.  This happened prior to my installing the "frontier" build - and after as well.

I've attached the .tgd.  Maybe there's something in there causing it.

My machine is a 64 bit, 8 core (Toshiba Qosmio laptop) if that is of any benefit.

Thanks for looking into this.
They're all wasted!

WAS

These are common holes in the geometry from, unfortunately, excessive displacement for the Compute Terrain patch size, or the Planets displacement tolerance. The holes are white and blue because it's the atmosphere showing through.

Since these are small holes, perhaps try upping the Compute Terrain patch size by 5m.

Oshyan

Multiple displacements in succession can create "excessive" displacement even when one of them alone is not extreme. Not sure how to reproduce the issue from the TGD provided, is your image a high resolution crop or something?

- Oshyan

RichTwo

Quote from: Oshyan on September 29, 2018, 05:19:58 PM
Multiple displacements in succession can create "excessive" displacement even when one of them alone is not extreme. Not sure how to reproduce the issue from the TGD provided, is your image a high resolution crop or something?

- Oshyan

Image is a fairly hi-res (factor 6 on anti-aliasing) cropped screen grab of in-process 1800 X 1012 render.  I have gotten them on a smaller, less detailed test render.  You have to zoom in close to an "outcrop" feature to see them.  More distant viewing won't show them, though.

It's not such a bother, since I can easily photo edit out the artifacts, and nobody can tell afterwards.

Thanks again.
They're all wasted!

RichTwo

Quote from: WASasquatch on September 29, 2018, 03:22:34 PM
...The holes are white and blue because it's the atmosphere showing through.

Since these are small holes, perhaps try upping the Compute Terrain patch size by 5m.

I also considered that it may be the atmo coming through "holes" in the foreground, but they even appear when there is a lower elevation of terrain behind it.  In other words, the sky would have to be showing through the entire planet.

But I will try your Compute Terrain suggestion, by all means.
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on September 30, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on September 29, 2018, 03:22:34 PM
...The holes are white and blue because it's the atmosphere showing through.

I also considered that it may be the atmo coming through "holes" in the foreground, but they even appear when there is a lower elevation of terrain behind it.  In other words, the sky would have to be showing through the entire planet.

But I will try your Compute Terrain suggestion, by all means.

I'm pretty sure, just like going under terrain, overlapping, hidden elements aren't rendered. So there is nothing behind those holes to the renderer, as it doesn't need to waste resources on that.

Oshyan

WAS is correct, this is called "back face culling". Terrain behind foreground elements is generally not rendered (when the renderer is rendering in the most optimal way), it is "culled".

- Oshyan