Pop doesn't find compute terrain

Started by Dune, October 01, 2018, 02:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

even if it's there...

When deleting the original compute terrain and later adding a new one, new pops are not automatically attached. I recall having had this issue before in older versions, but didn't pay attention whether if ever went right.

Matt

If I recall correctly, populations don't look for any Compute Terrain node but they are initialized with a link to a node with the exact name "Compute Terrain", so it works if your node has exactly that name.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Okay, thanks Matt. Actually, as I was writing I thought the name might be the problem.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 01, 2018, 03:01:58 AM
If I recall correctly, populations don't look for any Compute Terrain node but they are initialized with a link to a node with the exact name "Compute Terrain", so it works if your node has exactly that name.

Could you change that? That's silly.

The Heightfield Generate can look for the last Compute Terrain, maybe use that sort of functionality. All in all it should never be searching by a custom shader label, but it's type, no? Or maybe use the last shader in the Terrain Group (sometimes it can end with a Texture Coordinates cause of lateral).

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 01, 2018, 02:36:26 PM
Could you change that? That's silly.

Yes, it just hasn't come up very often. It's simply initialized with that string value because it was a convenient way to make it work 90% of the time. It could be better.

The Heightfield Generate can look for the last Compute Terrain

I don't think it does. In what situation? But yes there are ways to search for nodes by type, and code can be written to make decisions based on where they are in the tree, etc.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 01, 2018, 08:03:49 PM
I don't think it does. In what situation? But yes there are ways to search for nodes by type, and code can be written to make decisions based on where they are in the tree, etc.

Hmm. Perhaps it's happenstance of highlighted shader? I have been using two compute terrains to save from the error about Compute Terrain from Heightfield Shader so that I can do some exporting of different sets of heightfield operators, but when adding a new heightfield generate, it seems to drop before the last compute terrain.

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 01, 2018, 09:20:18 PM
I have been using two compute terrains to save from the error about Compute Terrain from Heightfield Shader

Can you tell me more about this error? I don't know what you mean.

so that I can do some exporting of different sets of heightfield operators, but when adding a new heightfield generate, it seems to drop before the last compute terrain.

Ah, the "Add Terrain" button does that for any terrains you add, not just heightfield shaders.