Rock wall w.i.p.

Started by René, October 01, 2018, 07:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I drives me nuts cause I can see the voronoi shapes you use, but I can never get them to play nice like that, all subtle like.

Hannes

Impressive!!!!! What about selling this at NWDA? I'd love to purchase this.

DocCharly65

Great! The best starting place for an Airwolf :)

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on October 07, 2018, 05:22:44 AM
Impressive!!!!! What about selling this at NWDA? I'd love to purchase this.

Good suggestion. I'd try to save for this. Very high quality displacement imo.

René

Soil test. Needs work, some twigs are floating.

WAS

Very appealing. It looks very good even with floating twigs haha.

Dune

Superb! Looks like very hard iron-containing rock floor. I really like the worn edges and tiny scratches, great work. I only think the grass needs another smooth subdivision in such close views.
Is this done on a bigger scale than reality, btw?

masonspappy

I had to come back and look at this a couple of times.  Very well done!

René

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2018, 01:45:14 AM
Superb! Looks like very hard iron-containing rock floor. I really like the worn edges and tiny scratches, great work. I only think the grass needs another smooth subdivision in such close views.
Is this done on a bigger scale than reality, btw?

I have found references of grass and shrubs that are very angular(see pictures). The plants in this render are made with NGplant and extra subdivision results in undulating branches and I just don't want that. :) Maybe in another program I can soften the kinks only. I can give it a try.
The scale is real-world.

bobbystahr

Well now, seeing this here as opposed to FB shows it much better and given the reference images a well done on the grass from me. I never had much luck with that program and binned it...maybe I should of stuck to it for grass if nothing else.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

René

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 01, 2018, 10:45:38 AM
Well now, seeing this here as opposed to FB shows it much better and given the reference images a well done on the grass from me. I never had much luck with that program and binned it...maybe I should of stuck to it for grass if nothing else.

I only use NGplant when really necessary. There are a number of tutorials and a lot of ready-made plants that can be changed.

http://ngplant.org/?paged=3&cat=4

https://vimeo.com/62931669

DocCharly65

Great detail work!
Looks very natural.

Dune

I see what you mean, there's some angularity indeed, thanks for explaining your view on this. It's a wonderful render anyway!

WAS

It's pretty nifty program, honestly if you spend enough time with it. I think the main issue with it is the sensitivity of the settings. Makes it hard to really "scale through" and see what you like.

Additionally, there is a Web Browser version of this application that you can use without needing to install it: http://ngplant.org/webplant/webplant.html

I'm honestly surprised no one has improved upon ngPlant at all, or used it in any way. For example it could be a plugin for Terragen to create plant assets on the fly and populate them.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 02, 2018, 03:26:51 AM

It's pretty nifty program, honestly if you spend enough time with it. I think the main issue with it is the sensitivity of the settings. Makes it hard to really "scale through" and see what you like.

Additionally, there is a Web Browser version of this application that you can use without needing to install it: http://ngplant.org/webplant/webplant.html

I'm honestly surprised no one has improved upon ngPlant at all, or used it in any way. For example it could be a plugin for Terragen to create plant assets on the fly and populate them.

If only there was a tdk for coders to work with but as TG is a work in progress I doubt we'll see one; and honestly I prefer Matt to be working on TG rather than a development kit for plugin writers
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist