Darkness "dilutes" terrain edges

Started by N-drju, October 01, 2018, 02:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I have a bit of a lighting problem... I guess.

I have three rock-like formations visible in my render. The whole image is relatively dark, due to low sunlight and four thin (but overcast) cloud layers. The problem is, that in this dark environment, the coloration of the rock formations is mixed together. The following rock has the same hue and color as the one preceeding, both differing by no contrast at all, despite being a few meters away from each other.

What would you recommend to make edges of the rocks more contrastive or how should I operate the light to achieve it?

[attach=1]
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Perhaps a bit of (no RT) reflection on the stones will highlight the edges.... or some grass, which will light up (if with a bit of translucency)....

N-drju

I'll try the reflectivity. This image is far more advanced now and grass did not solve this issue. The whole image is brighter but does not affect edges.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

You could also mask those specific areas and use a color adjust to lighten the areas up a bit. Just mask an empty surface layer, and add color adjust as child.

N-drju

Good idea with the color adjust, though it might damage the remaining terrain coloration. Beyond the mask I mean. I now try to render with some luminosity (which is supposed to be there in the final) to see if anything changes.

Dune

If you mask it, the rest won't be affected.

N-drju

I know. What I mean is that the difference between masked and unmasked bits may now be too profound. :D Question of moderation and composition.