What is your "flagship" render?

Started by N-drju, October 03, 2018, 03:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Let's go back to your very first few weeks / months of using Terragen...

What is your first render that you have considered a successful composition with no "buts"?

Any picture that you consider a special and defining item in your portfolio?

Come on, let's share some memories. :) Put a link to, or upload your flagship image here and tell us the story.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

PabloMack

The TG work in this scene is very basic but this clip is composed of six renders and three sound clips. Each of these shots is a composite of a TG environment and animation of a Black Hawk helicopter in Lightwave. Then I added sound clips of a Black Hawk, one from the ground and one from the cockpit and another clip of a muffled pilot's voice. All it needs is more detailed work on the TG scene and maybe a live actor standing on the porch.

https://youtu.be/PguDpkie4MY

N-drju

Wonderful job PabloMack!

I like how it looks like a takeout from a professional flight simulator. And I have seen some. Gentle rolls and turns enhance this experience. A flight instruments HUD would be an icing on the cake. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

René

This is the second Terragen image I completely finished, due to a new computer.

N-drju

Great coloration of the desert René. Some really handsome cloud lines you've got there too!

N-drju

Guess it's mine turn now.

"This land for sale" is what I consider my first successful render ever. The quality and variety of assets could have been (like in your case René) achieved only after I changed the operating system (Bootcamped 2GB Windows XP vs. 4GB Mac OS). Though this picture would have been even better today, I consider it one of my favorites "as is" and even printed it out as a "move-in" gift to my friends. ;)

[attach=1]

luvsmuzik

Lots of complex object distribution there. Division of plots nicely done too! I can feel the lag trying to do this scene, haha. Well Done!

N-drju

It's your turn now luvsmuzik. Don't be shy. ;)

luvsmuzik

Ha! Okay you asked for it...flagship render

Here I successfully changed shaders on an obj import, made some slushy water, put a snow clip on some terrain, and.....did a blur. :)

WAS

I honestly don't have my flagship renders anymore as I had all my stuff on Shadowness which randomly the developer shutdown the site without much notice. All my work there is just gone to cyberspace...

As of recently, probably the quick forest scene I did to test some God Rays: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=25353.0;attach=83817;image

I don't often do full scenes, but the bits and bobs to make up them for later use; for example, a new computer someday.

These is a scene I'd really love to re-render with Path Tracing someday here soon when it's in public builds. I feel the shadows will just look beautiful.

N-drju

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 05, 2018, 02:36:06 PM
I honestly don't have my flagship renders anymore as I had all my stuff on Shadowness which randomly the developer shutdown the site without much notice. All my work there is just gone to cyberspace...

Oh gosh, that is just so sad... Like spending several hours on a render only to find out you can't technically handle it. This is why I keep three copies of my portfolio on my computer, a family computer and a pen-drive. All updated per-case and triple fail-saved.

I would also love to see first renders of Planetside Staff. Although my guess is that they might be to busy to play with their own software... :D

sboerner

This wasn't all that long ago, but it was the first completely procedural scene that I was more or less happy with. Where I was telling Terragen what to do instead of vice-versa. We all need small victories now and then.  :D

[attach=1]

Oshyan

Well, I sadly don't get much time *these days* to do new, original, personal scenes with Terragen. But I have a good amount of "milestone" renders from my past, especially before I was a Planetside employee, heh. There are lots of different milestones, like "my first render with the registered version of Classic" (which Matt kindly gifted to me in exchange for beta testing), or "my first decent TG2 image", etc, etc. The original question seems to me like it could go a couple different ways:

What is your first render that you have considered a successful composition with no "buts"?
Any picture that you consider a special and defining item in your portfolio?

So what do you want to see from me? :D

- Oshyan

N-drju

Let's be brief - a milestone render of your choice. Something you consider defining.

Something that you would gladly and proudly show when saying "See, I am a CG artist babe". ;)

Oshyan

Ahhh. Well, a lot of them look outdated by modern standards (from the Classic days anyway). My favorite scene that I've made continues to be St. Helens and the many variations I've made over the years. But in the spirit of this thread I think it makes sense to reach further back. There is a scene I created while first testing Terragen 2 and enjoying the power and beauty of true volumetric clouds and atmospehre for the first time. It's still one of my favorites, which I would happily show to my "bae" to try to impress. ;) I called it "Hello or Goodbye" in the end (because I couldn't decide if it looked more like a sunrise or sunset), but when I created it, it was simply "new mountains and veggies sunset". :D

[attach=1]

This was originally made back in 2005. And... you may recognize it as my long-time avatar here on the forums! :)

- Oshyan