What is your "flagship" render?

Started by N-drju, October 03, 2018, 03:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Cool scene.... and soooo old  :P I remember seeing the clouds in TG2 for the first time, a thrilling experience.

N-drju

Quote from: Oshyan on October 09, 2018, 01:08:29 PM
There is a scene I created while first testing Terragen 2 and enjoying the power and beauty of true volumetric clouds and atmospehre for the first time. It's still one of my favorites, which I would happily show to my "bae" to try to impress. ;) I called it "Hello or Goodbye" in the end (because I couldn't decide if it looked more like a sunrise or sunset), but when I created it, it was simply "new mountains and veggies sunset". :D

This was originally made back in 2005. And... you may recognize it as my long-time avatar here on the forums! :)

- Oshyan

Yes, this truly is your defining render then. Thanks for showing (the rest of) it to us! ;)

Atmosphere and clouds is indeed something that many people like to gaze upon in TG. As in real life. :) Oh, by the way Oshyan - did you get my draft?

Ulco, totally agree. But it takes a lot of practice to make them look right, no?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Oshyan

N-drju, yes I got the draft. Will respond soon, thanks. :)

- Oshyan

N-drju

Ok. Thank you, take your time as currently I'm rendering anyway so it has to be finished first before I "regain control". ;)

Back to the topic however, it would also be interesting to see what Matt has accomplished in one of his first renders. Some initial "proof of concept" or validation render after the completion of which, he knew TG will become a thing. After all, he is the programmer as I understand?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

He is, indeed, the programmer. Hopefully he joins the thread at some point, though he is very busy. He has had some nice past renders, of course... :)

- Oshyan

Stormlord

This was my first Rendering in Terragen, called "Tropical Island". I was looking for a suitable Desktop Background in High Resolution.
So I decided to start something with Terragen. It was my start into the wonderfull world of Terragen in 2003.
Currently I work with TG 4.12, just a few more years later...hahaha...

The scene has been created for my Windows XP Theme in 2003, see a Screenshot below.

[attach=1]
Tropical Island, Created with Terragen 0.93

[attach=2]
Screenshot of my Windows XP Desktop

STORMLORD

Oshyan

Very nice, I like the water quite a lot.

- Oshyan

N-drju

True. Nothing quite like a serene, clear water to greet your eyes when back home.

Stormlord

Later on I decided to create another one with Caustics (This was completely new terrain for me at that time).
It's another of my TG classics, which I still use as Desktop until today.... Quiet, clean, balanced...

Next was a more south-sea ocean water experiment, which is also very cool.
All these were my first renderings in TG.

STORMLORD

ajcgi

This is an interesting selection of images. I rarely get to work on my own personal projects, but one which sticks out for me is this one where I decided Edinburgh Castle needed a new hill to sit on. It started out as figuring out how populations work, then moved on to being a proper project. The castle is actually a still from Google projected on geometry in Softimage. Pretty sure this was TG2.

As a lot of my professional TG work is either wide planet shots or close ups of other planets in the solar system, vegetation is something I rarely do lately at all.

[attach=1]

ajcgi

Quote from: Stormlord on October 15, 2018, 06:52:41 AM
Later on I decided to create another one with Caustics (This was completely new terrain for me at that time).
It's another of my TG classics, which I still use as Desktop until today.... Quiet, clean, balanced...

Next was a more south-sea ocean water experiment, which is also very cool.
All these were my first renderings in TG.

STORMLORD

I like the colours in that water. Really great.

Stormlord

Here are my water settings from Tropical Island in Terragen 0.9.43.

The secret is a Plugin, which I used to create the very good looking transparency in the water.
It's called "SOPack" which is a collection of Terragen Plugins from Sean O'Malley (see screenshot), made in the year 2000.

[attach=1]

STORMLORD

N-drju

It is fun to look at these dialogue boxes now. :D

Hetzen

I think this was my first completed render with populations in TG, not sure if the second came before or afterwards but it was definitely one of my first scenes.

I tried to open the fields project a few years back, Frank wanted to have a look at it, all I got were infinity spikes coming out of the walls. It was the first time I'd used blue nodes and there must have been some naughty math in there, divide by zero from a PF, or something. I only use multiply now because of that scene.  :)