FEATURE REQUESTS

Started by rolland1013, October 03, 2018, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

QuoteI would like a Shader Preview window that lets you Pan and Zoom so your not just stuck zooming into the origin.  There have been many instances where I have needed to zoom into something in the shader preview but I couldn't get close enough because as you zoom in the area I wanted to see gets cut off by the edges of the preview and you can't pan on over or pick a different zoom in point.

Echo this. I know this has been requested elsewhere in the forum. It would be a huge timesaver.

Dune

Indeed, handy to have that possibility sometimes.

mhaze

ajcgi

Quote from: Yanik on October 05, 2018, 12:38:23 PM
I also have been learning and using Houdini the past year and Houdini gives you many ways to debug your scene. Houdini's network view is a joy to use compared to other node based applications. If you feel it being too complex I highly recommend you to learn some basic development skills to understand how data is stored and how it flows.
That said I agree with it not being artist friendly.

Absolutely agree. I have had to up the anti on understanding how data moves around VFX scenes. That being said I come from a Softimage background and ICE simulation necessitated understanding some of that at any level. Going from that to Houdini was a challenge workflow-wise in some ways, but at least it wasn't like going to Maya which to me was like arguing with a petulant child every time I did anything.
Node network in Houdini is now my best friend. Every time I'm in Terragen I long for differently coloured nodes, ones of a different shape and so on.

Quote from: Yanik on October 05, 2018, 12:38:23 PM
I don't think it's fair to compare a complex application that is mostly TD/VFX oriented with a simple terrain design tool. In my feature request list I posted a few ideas on how to make Terragen easier to use. Value remapping is a very important feature which is used in many terrain design tools. It allows you to artistically remap values and allows you to create new shapes quite easily.

Houdini has excellent terrain tools that both I and my colleagues have had great success with, especially in tandem with Terragen.

Lastly, many sincere apologies for saying 'off you pop'. Reading that back made me cringe. It was very sarcastic, arrogant and doesn't help anyone. I must have been having a shitty week for some reason.

Dune

I have one; sometimes you can't easily get rid of the manipulation stuff of an object or simple shape or something, once selected. I usually click somehwere outside the preview window, but yesterday it constantly selected another simple shape. Turning off all objects (in the window) turned them all off, but the crosshairs remained.
So maybe an extra line in the popup where you can select an object should be needed: 'selection off' ?

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I also have another small request.  When resizing Group windows it seems you can only resize to the left, right, or down, but not up.  I often times need to expand my Atmosphere group, so I have to drag the whole thing up first and then resize it from the bottom edge instead of simply just dragging the upper edge up to make more room.  Very minor, but thought I would ask.  ;)

-Derek

Matt

You can resize the group by the top edge, but you have to be zoomed in quite far. I'll try to improve this. Some more info here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25674.0.html
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Thanks Matt!  Now I know why I could sometimes move the top edge of the group container.  ;) 

-Derek

Ethrieltd

Quote from: icarus51 on February 05, 2019, 09:44:16 AMI add these: atmospheric optics effects - rainbows, halos, iridescence, corona, sun pillars, distorsion/mirage sun and moon near horizon.

I've used Halosim for Sun Dogs from https://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/halfeat.htm but it'd be great to see the ability built in. There's also IRIS from the same site that is for Rainbows, etc. Which I haven't tried.

This is an example of a HaloSim generated effect composited into a Terragen scene.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Ethrieltd on March 02, 2019, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: icarus51 on February 05, 2019, 09:44:16 AMI add these: atmospheric optics effects - rainbows, halos, iridescence, corona, sun pillars, distorsion/mirage sun and moon near horizon.

I've used Halosim for Sun Dogs from https://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/halfeat.htm but it'd be great to see the ability built in. There's also IRIS from the same site that is for Rainbows, etc. Which I haven't tried.

This is an example of a HaloSim generated effect composited into a Terragen scene.

Indeed that would be a handy thing to have
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

sjefen

Would also be cool with a population that can handle more objects at the same time and control how much % each one gets populated. Would make it a lot faster to grow a forest with more variations. Combined with random scale and rotations (with controls) and I would be very happy  :)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

digitalguru

QuoteWould also be cool with a population that can handle more objects at the same time and control how much % each one gets populated.

I've been using MASH in Maya to create some ecosystems: https://vimeo.com/205891678

Has some very cool ideas, like seeding the start points for an ecosystem, then having it "grow" out from the seed points based on wind distribution of the seeds of each plant/tree.

Mostly though it stores an array of objects to randomly populate in one node, which can be biased to favour selected elements. Would love to see this in Terragen.

icarus51

Quote from: Oshyan on October 03, 2018, 08:33:04 PM
Yep, lots of good ideas here. Many already suggested, which we keep in a private issue tracker. We're listening and will implement as much as we can over time. I can tell you we are almost certainly never going to support Vray shaders though. Other than that it's all probably fair game.

- Oshyan

Hy.

I remember when, many years ago, ask for optics effects in Terragen (eg. rainbows, halos, light pillar, mirages and iridescence in clouds). Many years have passed but these features i don't see in the current software. I know these effects can be made after render (post production) by graphic editor but  these effects will not be embodied and calculated in the software with the result of a unrealistic and displaced vision.
A plugin (or feature) for these effects would be fantastic for this feature or few new parameters in Atmosphere and/or Clouds.
Sculpting Tool could be the most precious thing, naturally. Now in the current 2019 seems to me that the time for these things is arrived, or am i wrong and missed something? In case, excuse me for my enthusiasm and my impatience.  :-[
Greetings.

icarus51

Quote from: Ethrieltd on March 02, 2019, 02:55:06 PM

I also have tried this but if this feature could be  built in Terragen  this is better, i hope you understand me.

I have a NEW feature request, but not sure if it has already been asked.

Can we get a check box to turn on "Save GI Cache (for single frame renders"

Because I don't do a whole lot of animation I often times turn my GI Cache Quality up, and it takes a long time to process just the GI, so after rendering a single frame I would like to keep that GI cache file wherever it may be.  I know you can render just the GI cache, and then use the Load GI Cache file that way, but it would be nice to kick off a render and have it save the GI Cache automatically without doing a 2-Step process.

-Derek