Function Scale Control - Am I missing something?

Started by WAS, October 03, 2018, 03:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

So I'm curious, how would one scale, and translate with functions?

Currently, you don't have access to the Transform shaders when you right click to add a new function. You're limited to function nodes. But at least, from my limited understanding I don't see any way to translate/scale on XYZ, only rotate?

So I end up having to manually add a lot of Transform Input Shaders since they're not easily accessible through the menu tree.

Matt

Hit either 'Tab' or 'N' to open the Quick Node Palette, start typing "transform" until it selects one of the transform shaders, use up or down arrows if necessary to select the desired shader, then hit Enter. That's usually much quicker than using the context menus.

But the answer to your exact question is to use adds and multiplies on the Get Position in Texture. I just prefer to use transform shaders.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 03, 2018, 06:58:39 PM
Hit either 'Tab' or 'N' to open the Quick Node Palette, start typing "transform" until it selects one of the transform shaders, use up or down arrows if necessary to select the desired shader, then hit Enter. That's usually much quicker than using the context menus.

But the answer to your exact question is to use adds and multiplies on the Get Position in Texture. I just prefer to use transform shaders.

Oh I see, so I would get position in the texture of what I'm working with and apply add/multiply etc to that? I guess what gets confusing with function nodes is how to chain them to start equations/manipualtions.

Additionally, the Quick Node Palette is pretty convenient, but from a convenience standpoint, I don't think it's the easiest. A lot fo TG is just mouse work from my experience, and typing  requires reposition both hands, and than typing. Little counter intuitive to point-and-click ease that's incorporated into almost everything. And I think for this very purpose, the end-user having to literally reposition in the real world for that feature. Sometimes, when relaxed, having to literally change body position for postured typing. Numbers for values arne't hard because that's why they gave us the numpad close to the mouse pad (at least for right handers. :( )

I'll also add when I am envisioning something it's not really a step by step thing unless I'm playing around. I'll usually build a whole unconfigured tree, a draft, before going in and editing settings, as I'll already have a very good idea of what I'm doing. A good example of that is the TGD I just sent to the support email. It was all build (besides masks/colours) at once before I edited settings.

Especially with functions.