Rendered with path tracing in 4.3.08

Started by Tangled-Universe, October 03, 2018, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Rendered using path tracing in 4.3.08.

Not necessarily the most beautiful render, pulled up the shadows and applied a 3D LUT in Photoshop.
What stands out is the shadow depth in the vegetation and lighting on the distant mountains, which I think looks pretty awesome.

WAS

Jeez! The vegetation shadow mixing is just beautiful with this path tracer! Really making me excited, I want to see more. Wish I could apply it to that recent test file I was doing between GI/AO/GI+AO

Antoine

Very nice indeed ! with the path tracer engine it is now possible to get much more realistic scenes, mainly dawn/dusk ones.
I noticed that micropoly detail setting must be much higher than before to get the details in the terrain surface. What was your setting for this scene ? at least 2 I guess ?

David.

Dune

Matt

Quote from: Antoine on October 04, 2018, 01:20:46 AM
Very nice indeed ! with the path tracer engine it is now possible to get much more realistic scenes, mainly dawn/dusk ones.
I noticed that micropoly detail setting must be much higher than before to get the details in the terrain surface. What was your setting for this scene ? at least 2 I guess ?

David.

The secret is to go into Subdiv Settings (on the Advanced tab) and set "Ray detail multiplier" to 1. In future I'd like to make it so you don't need to do this, and then you'll benefit from faster rendering by using lower values again.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on October 04, 2018, 04:13:07 AM

David.

The secret is to go into Subdiv Settings (on the Advanced tab) and set "Ray detail multiplier" to 1. In future I'd like to make it so you don't need to do this, and then you'll benefit from faster rendering by using lower values again.

Indeed and what I did here. Micropoly detail was 0.7, I believe. Probably still too high. Need to investigate the impact of that on path tracing.

Antoine

Thank you Matt ! Indeed it's more efficient that way

David.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 04, 2018, 04:13:07 AM

David.

Sssshhhhh, and if you're on freeware and want a polygon free surface (and not a full scene) ray trace everything with ray detail multiplier at 1, the results will be much like a high quality rendered object.

Angles get a tad bit of smoothing but it's actually helped in up close tests making sure MPD anomalies I see aren't permanent due to me and settings.