Tropiques scene re-rendered with version 4.3.0.8

Started by Antoine, October 03, 2018, 06:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine

Hello,

I wanted to test the new path tracing render.
For this I have taken my old scene "Tropiques" and after adjusted some path tracing settings, just clicked the render button, so all other settings are the same.
Here are the two renders, without any post processing but my signature. Clearly the new render is much more realistic, mainly in the shadows areas.
render times are of course longer for now, but it's worth it.

Here are the two renders for comparison :

David

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

WAS

Thanks for sharing this. This is a good example of subtle differences with the new path tracer. Wish I could give this a go, looks lovely. Soon I hope. :3

Those shadows and light interaction look lovely, much more realistic. Shadows in vegetation have always been a bit of a nit-pick for me.

Oshyan

Very interesting comparison indeed! As WAS said, the subtlety in the path traced version are much more realistic. The previous version almost seems to be glowing in the shadows by comparison.

- Oshyan

pokoy

Finally, PT will now allow for a much more realistic shadow behavior, been waiting for this and totally happy about its addition.

Great example render, thanks for posting this. What's the render time difference here?

Antoine

QuoteWhat's the render time difference here?

About 3 to 5 times longer for this scene. It depends how much noise free you want the render to be. The higher the antialiasing setting is, the longer time it will take for a cleaner image.

What I would like to know is how the antialiasing setting functions here : does it also, apart from antialisasing, regulate the path tracing samples number or does it act like a denoiser, or both ?

David.

Oshyan

As far as I understand the AA setting now control all sampling of the scene, including path tracing for GI. This is a large part of moving toward a more unified and thus simplified approach for adjusting quality of the render. The goal is to have fewer knobs to twiddle in the future, while still getting great results in a reasonable time. :D

- Oshyan

DannyG

Looks damn good, worth the extra render time for sure
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on October 04, 2018, 10:48:10 PM
As far as I understand the AA setting now control all sampling of the scene, including path tracing for GI. This is a large part of moving toward a more unified and thus simplified approach for adjusting quality of the render. The goal is to have fewer knobs to twiddle in the future, while still getting great results in a reasonable time. :D

- Oshyan

And here I am "More knobs, more control!" lol