Masked Reflections

Started by WAS, October 05, 2018, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to create a soft "frost" overlay for some terrain, however the reflection doesn't follow the mask of the frost. What is nearly masked out completely is still solid reflection.

This might be easily remedied by the reflection shader actually having a reflectivity/mask function and doubling up the masking, but it seems currently the masking of reflections doesn't follow the continuity of the mask colouring correctly compared to the shaders also chained with the reflection.

Matt

I'm unable to reproduce this. Are you sure that the mask is working in all other ways except for reflection, and are you sure that there isn't something else creating reflections?
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Perhaps the mask is working, but if it uses "mask as coverage" combined with fractal breakup then there will be some reflectivity scattered across the surface.

WAS

Alright, I guess the difference probably is I used a Smooth Shader to further smooth out a PF while retaining a bit of variations and not perfect blobby circles. It just seems the reflection should be falling off with the colour that's masked by the same thing, as the colour is plugged into the reflection that is into the surface layer masked. The Mask as Coverage might also be adding to this scenario. I'll try some adjustments.

Matt

Yes, the colour and the reflectivity should be affected by the same amount (not accounting for perceptual differences, which there may be).