Starfleet Headquarter

Started by DocCharly65, October 06, 2018, 08:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

... or something like that...

I was bored from all the Enterprise bridge stuff and waiting for the animation renders so I just played around with an idea for "A" (not "THE") Starfleet Headquarter.

For animating this version is a bit too detailed and for a poster there should be more details  ::) :)
But the concept works:

[attach=1]

There is a second atmosphere for the hazy look closer to the ground.
The houses of the city are placed in 4 categories:
A city tile with very raw textured buildings and a minimum of polygons for the far away parts.
Closer buildings are in better quality with better textures but I had to place them via pops.
The closest buildings are quite detailed I invested most time to get good texturing.
For a scify look I added some futuristic looking city sets in different angles.

The models:
City far away:
low poly city by natasadikic04 on CGTrader

Closer buildings:
14 different models from the Building set A by K_Models

Buildings close to and in the park area:
3D home1 model by dmitriy051
Low Poly Building by Mutlu Kirca
Modern House by Giimann
4 different models from the Town Houses Pack by Shprott
British Colonial Complex by thinice on Turbosquid

The scify components and scycrapers:
Raffles City Tower by namk07a3
Skyscraper 02 3D model by TomaszCGB
SciFi_Human City Set05 by GrafxBox
Orion Colonial City by Herminio Nieves

Some old lamppost models from archive3d.net
The grass is dandelo's procedural grass
Trees are completely xfrog-oaks (5 different versions)
Additionally some hazelnut bushes from xfrog

The ships:
Naboo Royal Starship Andre Mueller on scifi3d.com
Rebel Transport by Sean Kennedy - Model - Andre Mueller Re-texturing 3DS in scifi3d.com
Skybus by Chris Wallace - Original - Michael Hobson -Lightwave on scifi3d.com
Pizza shuttle by Staffan Norling on scifi3d.com with an own modified texture ;)
Workbee and Cargo train from Raul Mamoru (who was also the modeller of my Enterprise)

DocCharly65

Long time playing around but now the city is ready for rendering the animation... So this post will continue in the animation sector :)
Some last testshots:

Planned Animations - a panorama view:

[attach=1]   [attach=2]   [attach=3]

The first one is a final from the animation. The others ar tests.
...and yes - the flags will be animated :)

A cropped detailed view of the sign on the building (created with Wings3D and the starTrek Logo from Raul Mamoru):

[attach=4]

I would have preferred a little bit more metallic look but after some tests I decided that it's more importened to be easily readable in an animation than to look impressive.

WAS

How did I miss this??

This is great! Pretty elaborate populations going on here. Love the Naboo Royal Starship in the field. Haha.

I like the building reflection in the second set of images, and the flags on the starfleet building look very nice and in motion.

Dune

Strangely I missed this too. Mesmerizing work again, Nils!!!

Hannes

A great sense of details, and the lighting is brillant.

DocCharly65

Some new ideas came when I finished the Christmas-Moose-Renders...

It will be nice to have some night views from the City in my film...

I needed many, many spotlights, some lightsources for the streetlamps in the foreground and hard work for all illumination masks of the buildings.
Then changing the overall lighting with the second atmosphere glowing a bit red and I got some city night live (first render test - some changes already in work):

[attach=1]

A closer view of the old observatory (in the render above you see it only small in the right bottom edge):

[attach=2]

And the view based on the POV of the moose-animation (only an AA2 render to test if the light settings of the moon work)

[attach=3]

Finally the first render of the animation (I think the 5th or 6th restart until I was satisfied with the look...)  ::) :D

[attach=4]

I needed a long time to get rid of the flickering of the illuminated parts ... now I must wait and we will see :)
...the safari comes a bit later... sorry ;)

mhaze

Dune

You must be working really fast! The result is great, as always!

bobbystahr

Love the night shots but the whole 'project' is great...I love your attention to details and sense of humour. Always a chuckle in your posts.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

luvsmuzik

WOW! Great control on light sources! Very hard to isolate that burst, well done. :)

otakar

Epic, that's all. All those lights, how in the world do you do that (and keep your sanity)?  ;D

DocCharly65

Thanks all :)

Quote from: otakar on January 10, 2019, 05:27:23 PM
Epic, that's all. All those lights, how in the world do you do that (and keep your sanity)?  ;D

@luvs and Otakar:

On one side I never had any sanity ;D
and I did it this way (only the most complicated example for buildings without any texture map in the original model):

Make a checkerboard pattern in Corel Paint (the affordable "Photoshop for less rich people" ;) )
I divided it into different colored areas for easier later identification on the building.
[attach=5]

And of course I numbered the tiles:
[attach=1]

Then I took a texture from a model including an illumination mask.
I combined a workflow with Poseray for fast views and mapping, Corel Paint for placing and adjusting little windows and Terragen for detailed test views:

Placing the windows:
[attach=2]

Background Checkerboard set to black:
[attach=3]

The TG final testrender:
[attach=4]

Then the adjustment in the city tdg (import the new map as luminosity image and find the best suitable value) and then the next houses...
This one took appr. 8 hours.

But many others were much easier when there was a texture where I could just cut out the windows and set the rest to black...