Mars Concept 1

Started by RichTwo, October 08, 2018, 05:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

An entirely different approach this time, the subject matter being my second most favorite planet in the Solar System.  Earth being the first, of course.  Suggestions welcome!
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

Nice start! Most of the photos I've ever seen of Mars have a good amount of soft dust over at least parts of the area though. Add that and I think you'll have a winner!

- Oshyan

RichTwo

Quote from: Oshyan on October 08, 2018, 05:10:06 PM
Nice start! Most of the photos I've ever seen of Mars have a good amount of soft dust over at least parts of the area though. Add that and I think you'll have a winner!

- Oshyan
Thanks, Oshyan - I started out with a dunes clip, but the terrain file I got here turned them into mini-plateaus.  Then I put a low displacement PF combo onto the orange layer, but looks like it had not much effect.  I'll fiddle some more, maybe use a different type of terrain.
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

One of the best ways to get a sand/dust look is to merge two different terrains, one very smooth, and the other like your rocky areas here. This will give a very clean line between the two. You can use a Merge, masking, or other methods. Alternatively or additionally, Intersect Underlying may help you.

- Oshyan

RichTwo

It took me a bit of pushing and pulling displacements - sort of like trying to herd armadillos.  That's what we say here in Texas.  OK - so we don't really say that...  But I think I am on the right path so far.
They're all wasted!

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

Yep, heading in the right direction! Now if you can mix the two, with some big, rocky outcroppings sticking out here and there that look similar to your first, I think you'll have the best of both worlds.

- Oshyan

ajcgi

Best Mars reference is Mars itself ;)
https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission/mars-rover-curiosity-mission-updates/

Your first image feels closer to reality to me. Some elements of the 2nd one and you're nearly there.

Stormlord

Would love to see more from Mars!

By the way...
I just recently created a high resolution Mars Map in Ture Colors!
Rendering has been done in 3DsMax 2009

See the attached pictures from creation process and rendering in 3D Studiomax 2009.

[attach=1]
Rendering - Mars in True Colors

[attach=2]
Screenshot - Mars Map in True Colors in Adobe Photoshop 1

[attach=3]
Screenshot - Mars Map in True Colors in Adobe Photoshop 2

[attach=4]
Screenshot - Mars Map in True Colors in Adobe Photoshop 3

[attach=5]
Screenshot - Mars in true color in 3DsMax 2009

STORMLORD

Stormlord

[attach=1]
Mars with unrealistic colors (Terragen 4.12)

[attach=2]

[attach=3]
Contrast under Tonemap intensified from 0.25 to 0.85 which will produce a nice color boost in the final output !

STORMLORD

bobbystahr

Quote from: Stormlord on October 15, 2018, 11:09:16 AM
[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]
Contrast under Tonemap intensified from 0.25 to 0.85 which will produce a nice color boost in the final output !

STORMLORD

good trick, thanks
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Quote from: ajcgi on October 15, 2018, 07:26:24 AM
Best Mars reference is Mars itself ;)
https://mars.nasa.gov/msl/mission/mars-rover-curiosity-mission-updates/

Your first image feels closer to reality to me. Some elements of the 2nd one and you're nearly there.
Yes, thanks!  I've been kind of following the Curiosity mission and know the "color" images usually appear as they are on the surface of Mars.  That's what I'm trying to achieve, rather than a more Earthly familiar scene. Of course, unless we see it with our own human eyes, we'd only be guessing...

Also @ Stormlord: you've got some pretty good ideas going.  A bit on the fanciful side, but good.
They're all wasted!

Stormlord

@Bobbystar @Rich2
Did you both notice the Render Tab with my 4 Renders already inside?

Render Speedy -> just for a superfast preview, settings set for a fast rendering
Render Quick -> Just for a better Preview with acepptable rendertimes
Render Half -> Settings Halfway to look for final improvements before final rendering
Render Full -> Settings for the final rendering

I always add it into my scene so you are done with it for the most cases.
The same I do with my Atmosphere settings. I just add my own Standard Skies to my scene.

[attach=1]
Screenshot with the settings of my Standard Renderer Setup

[attachurl=2]
Simple Renderer Setup to add them into your scene

STORMLORD

luvsmuzik

Thank you for sharing all of this Rich and STORMLORD. I visit the image archive to see NASA releases of images often and reading the credits and compositing of their images is interesting I find. Yes, we are shown images done in time lapse and filtered versions that we can relate to in comparison to what we think of as "normal". At least the moon is not made of "green cheese" anymore.  :) Do not stop dreaming of what is possible.