Clouds following terrain

Started by Tangled-Universe, October 09, 2018, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

A simple cross-section-like terrain allows for easier visualization of how to have clouds follow your terrain.
Since the introduction of cloud depth/altitude modulation this has been a sought after technique and was somewhat difficult to implement.
A tutorial created by me is in need for an update and I used this scene to nail down the workflow exactly. No guessing, more logic.
More on this soon...

Oshyan

Ooo, nice. Love the cross-section concept (and execution). Also seems like a technique (cross-section) that could be very useful for visualization and illustration purposes.

- Oshyan

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Well this is certainly interesting. This directly addresses my issues with doing clouds along terrain, which is, how close am, how far is it, how broke up is it in relation to the altitude, etc.

Tangled-Universe

Which issues are you experiencing, more specifically?

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on October 10, 2018, 02:20:32 AM
Which issues are you experiencing, more specifically?

Mostly exactly what this is for, if you clouds are tight to the terrain, the shapes of clouds relative to terrain, breakup, etc, all hard to visualize when you're staring through the clouds at shadowed terrain.

N-drju

I remember the first time I used this technique. It's not straightforward and often a hit-and-miss job, but once you get all values right, it definitely hits the spot!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"