Surface Layers on Fake Stones?

Started by RichTwo, October 11, 2018, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I have tried everything I know that I felt should work: Attached the Fake Stones to a surface layer (unchecked "Apply Color") both at the main input and as child layer.  The "Sand" layer has slope and altitude constraints applied.  Checked the "Intersect Underlying" feature.  Tried all 3 settings for that.  Mixed surface layer with the Fake Stones with the Merge shader as you can see, no controller.  And I still get surface layers covering the FSs.  (The color of all 4 FSs are solid black, both as the PFs and FSs.)  Should not the FSs appear to sit on top of the surface layers if the node or network thereof is simply connected "behind" them? 

Thanks in advance for any shared knowledge.  I'm sure once someone tells me what I'm doing wrong, the palm of my hand will forcibly strike my forehead...
They're all wasted!

RichTwo

And here is the result of an experiment I did using Hannes's Default Scene setup.  Again, all stones are really solid black.
They're all wasted!

luvsmuzik

Hope this helps!

Delete merge shader in terrain shaders line.
Add new surface layer to shaders line  Uncheck apply color
Connect sand layer output  to input of new surface layer
Connect last merge shader in left side fake stones setup to child node of new surface layer
Connect new surface layer output to Planet input

RichTwo

Quote from: luvsmuzik on October 11, 2018, 04:00:18 PM

Delete merge shader in terrain shaders line.
Add new surface layer to shaders line  Uncheck apply color
Connect sand layer output  to input of new surface layer
Connect last merge shader in left side fake stones setup to child node of new surface layer
Connect new surface layer output to Planet input

The image in my self-reply was created with exactly that type of setup.  I set the colors for the FSs to be solid black, but it didn't get the result of completely black stones resting on surface layers.  All surface layers were laid over the stones.  Thanks anyway! 
They're all wasted!

luvsmuzik

Hmmm...
Okay some say the fake stone setup should be last in the shaders lineup of surface layers. Then you can try dangling a compute terrain node from the output of that surface layer (no output for this compute terrain needed). Make sure your surface layer is not restricted to altitude or slope that is not intended also.

RichTwo

I'm on another TG project now, but I'll return to the desert scene I wanted this for and let you know how it pans out.  Before the new TG versions, I thought Fake Stones was a cover band...  Thanks again!
They're all wasted!

Dune

Here's one way to get some smooth stones in a rough terrain, but I don't know what you really look for. Might be helpful anyway.

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Quote from: Dune on October 12, 2018, 02:19:39 AM
Here's one way to get some smooth stones in a rough terrain, but I don't know what you really look for. Might be helpful anyway.
That works well with the scale of the stones as you have them.  But when I connect the my added Final Stone Complex node with internal network, I get the same thing as before - layers resting on to of the stones.  And I tried luv's Compute Terrain idea and it didn't change anything.  I can't get no satisfaction...  I'm about to have my 19th nervous breakdown...  Trying to get it to work is a beast of burden... 

My idea is to have the Fake Stones with different colors to be kind of a highlight to a barren desert scene. I'll keep at it and maybe something will develop.  Thanks again!
They're all wasted!

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on October 12, 2018, 01:16:54 PM
Quote from: luvsmuzik on October 12, 2018, 11:01:56 AM
fake jaggers... :)

not a Mick Jagger

Ha! I got it , I got it....I was gonna tell him he was being quite Cockney about it, but I didn't know if that term applied anymore. That speaking in code sort of stuff from years back.  ;D My dad used to go on and on about those lyrics from the "British Invasion"..."you have no idea what you are even listening to"