Surface Slope Limitations Question

Started by WAS, October 09, 2018, 06:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 10, 2018, 09:43:42 PM
I don't really understand that. If you use colour only, it works, if you use displacement only it works, wouldn't they both than work?

If you use only colour, there is no displacement to trigger the problem, so you can safely use "final normal" and get a nice high-resolution slope constraint on your colours.

If you use only displacement, displacement must key off "terrain normal" regardless of which settings you choose in the UI. And when using "terrain normal" there is no problem.

However, if you have shaders which generate displacement, this affects "final normal", which affects the distribution of colour (if you choose "final normal" in the UI). But during the displacement phase, it only has access to "terrain normal". So there is a discrepancy. This is a fundamental limitation of the shading pipeline, and the only solution is to choose "terrain normal."
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 11, 2018, 09:09:26 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on October 10, 2018, 09:43:42 PM
I don't really understand that. If you use colour only, it works, if you use displacement only it works, wouldn't they both than work?

If you use only colour, there is no displacement to trigger the problem, so you can safely use "final normal" and get a nice high-resolution slope constraint on your colours.

If you use only displacement, displacement must key off "terrain normal" regardless of which settings you choose in the UI. And when using "terrain normal" there is no problem.

However, if you have shaders which generate displacement, this affects "final normal", which affects the distribution of colour (if you choose "final normal" in the UI). But during the displacement phase, it only has access to "terrain normal". So there is a discrepancy. This is a fundamental limitation of the shading pipeline, and the only solution is to choose "terrain normal."

Oh I get it. Well at least Terrain normal provides what I was looking for more or less.