Hetzen Cobblestone Variant

Started by WAS, October 12, 2018, 06:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Working on a variant of Hetzen's Cobble function. Think it may be done.

Dune

Looking good. But they seem slightly hollow. I'd say they should have been worn quite smooth on the top and sides, but haven't looked at real references.

I did just now...

WAS

That would just be artistic preference with the Cobble Face Flatness Depressions layer for a chiseled concave faced brick. I did this cause it already had a concave arris to compliment it's deep verdiept grout and I hadn't seen it done often, in fact they usually do convex (outward) faces.

I figured for the construction of a road, this would prevent wagon wheels from slipping into the grout grooves (especially in the event of separation/fractures) which would wear the wheels. Just thinking constructively.

cyphyr

Very good ... now if only there was a way of varying their size by 10% to 20% or so :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on October 13, 2018, 03:54:12 AM
Very good ... now if only there was a way of varying their size by 10% to 20% or so :)

Yeah I'd have no clue how to go about that haha. From what I gather this only takes two axis and creates squares and repeats them. Closest I'd imagine is a larger smoother PF scale for the base function warper, to warp the base shapes before applying stretching. This would also change the axis of the grouts though.

Added an example. Notice some stones are about 10% smaller on width or height, but also clearly warped, but that's not always bad.

This is where a Pinch Warp shader would come in handy, as the smooth perlin lines on Z axis would pinch bricks together smoothly making them smaller sizes on X axis, and repeated for Z.

archonforest

getting there, getting there...very cool project!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

I like this project. And the versions 10-11 are my vaforites so far. Good luck with getting rid of the hollow effect!