Exposed Main Input for Containers

Started by WAS, October 17, 2018, 02:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

A cool feature would be a exposed main input inside container shaders, like surface layers, null shader, etc. This would make accessing it's input easily without reference to it's name.

Additionally, exposing subsequent inputs at the bottom without backtracking and right clicking / assigning via shader and not automatically hidden.

Dune

Good idea. So that would be a double row of inputs, one inside, one outside. As soon as you pick one, the counterpart disappears.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 17, 2018, 02:17:34 AM
Good idea. So that would be a double row of inputs, one inside, one outside. As soon as you pick one, the counterpart disappears.

Exactly, rather than having to backtrack, right click, or go into the shader to assign another shader to have the input exposed within. I'm often plugging, unplugging different shaders while testing, disp, childs, colour, etc. It'd also help when exiting/loading and the inputs resetting.

Dune

Though it's a matter of 'milliseconds' doing so, it would be easier indeed.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 17, 2018, 02:28:13 AM
Though it's a matter of 'milliseconds' doing so, it would be easier indeed.

I would say rather a few seconds. Especially if you don't remember shader names and have to go and reference.  And counter productive. I'm doing things inside the container. I shouldn't have to backtrack.

digitalguru

I second that (or is it third?  :) )

I'm using Groups a lot more to contain various sets of functions, a.t.m using  null shaders to act as junctions

What would be super useful (but probably less like likely to happen) is the ability to define any number of input and output widgets (if that's what they're called :-)) per group so you can connect them easily in the main node graph.

p.s after re-reading this thread and to clarify, I'm talking about the internal section of a Group node

bobbystahr

Put my vote for this as a YES as well
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

Another method/request could be:

Start network with null shader.
End network with null shader.
Select the network.
Right-click -> convert to container node

Result = "Container Node 01".

digitalguru

QuoteRight-click -> convert to container node

That could come under the banner of "convert nodes to macro" - any group of nodes could be encapsulated this way

WAS

While these are great ideas, my original plan was a super simple addition to the Internal Network window which would help with packaging nodes in whatever has a main input and output.