Ryan Archer's Canyon - Path Traced

Started by Tangled-Universe, October 18, 2018, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Just for fun, basically... Rendered with the path tracer.

Hetzen

It certainly renders a lot sharper. The shadows are crisper.

I like the lighting and aspect you've got in both of these.

WAS

That Bounce Tho. Sexy. :P seems to be more colour bouncing too unless that's post work just bringing it out.

RichTwo

Nice to see you're having fun, and lovely to view!
They're all wasted!

Dune

Nice contrast. Veggies in shadows come out very nicely. But I wonder how your eye would perceive a scene like this. I think shadows are nice dark, but maybe not natural dark, if you get my point.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys,

Ulco, yes I see what you mean. It's always a balance between the photographic and human vision.
In this case I went for more photographic, as you can see in the atmosphere and bloom around the vegetation.
Camera exposure = 8.

Antoine

Dune

You're right, Martin, just depends on what you want to achieve. That exposure is really high, btw. I've hardly ever worked with exposure settings, always afraid that skies would be bleached.

Tangled-Universe

Yes indeed a high exposure and bleaching of the sky is exactly what you see happening here :)
Camera exposure of 1 shows a bright blue sky and an exposure of 8 brings out the shadows, but over-exposes the sky.
In that sense a really photographic approach to lighting the shot for this scene, a decision actually made by Ryan back then which I just adhered to now.

Matt

I like the choice to overexpose the sky to properly expose the terrain. However, the shadows still look too dark on one of my monitors (I have each monitor calibrated differently) and also on my phone. It looks like the contrast has been boosted and there appear to be some hard clips in the highlights, which aren't very photographic IMO. Is this postwork? If so, what do they look like without it? Soft clip in Terragen should avoid such harsh clips on the highlights even when something is overexposed.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.