Still a Desert

Started by RichTwo, October 18, 2018, 10:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I did a few tweaks on what I've been toying with, and this time added a tad of moisture.  Just for a lark.
They're all wasted!

dorianvan

Great image and nice variety of foreground rocks. You might want to match the mountains and ground a little bit better.
-Dorian

Dune

Very nice. But I miss some shore wetness... or calcium deposit....

René

Very nice! I love the color scheme.

Tangled-Universe

Nice work Rich and great to see you're making a return into TG :)

Personally I am not too bothered by "mismatches" between rockfaces/mountains and their debris.
Actually, in my past months-long hike I saw many many occassions where depositions do not really match the rockface/mountain they came down from. Why that is exactly, I don't know, but I do know that as long as it's not too far off (in TG) it could definitely be realistic.

Ulco had some good suggestions, especially on the shore wetness. Calcium deposition too, but Ulco is hardcore precise and masterfully skilled :P

My suggestion for this one would be to increase the ray detail multiplier to 0.5-0.7 to just bring out some more details in the stones underneath the water. They are a bit faceted now, because of the default setting of 0.25 for the ray detail multiplier.
Beware though that render times will increase, so some masking of the water may be beneficial as well.
Search for masking water here and another Martin (Dandel0 I believe you spell it) developed a great technique to me which I totally did not get at first, but actually works beautifully.

Cheers,
Martin

RichTwo

Wow - great suggestions, and upon my returning at last I still have much to learn.  Calcium deposits, indeed... ;)  I can't seem to find that particular shader node.  As for "wetness" and I'm guessing on the rocks, suppose the reflective shader will work?
They're all wasted!

Oshyan

Woah, there's water on Mars! :D I like this one quite a bit.

- Oshyan