At 10 trillion frames per second, this camera captures light in slow motion

Started by WAS, October 19, 2018, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

I'm trying to grasp my head around it, really. Like... how? Like really how.

archonforest

wondering also what can record those amount of frames? If each frame is only 1 kbyte then the drive that records have to be able to write with
9313 Gbyte per second. This means the 25 frames record is 232825 Gbyte. What kind of ssd they have?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Quote from: archonforest on October 21, 2018, 08:17:25 AM
wondering also what can record those amount of frames? If each frame is only 1 kbyte then the drive that records have to be able to write with
9313 Gbyte per second. This means the 25 frames record is 232825 Gbyte. What kind of ssd they have?

I was wondering the same thing. Their explanation was not satisfactory. Lol I'm still trying to also grasp exactly how any cell is capturing faster than light if nothing can can "move" or "perceive" faster than light???

They explain that past streak cameras were more of a spoof, and I am wondering if that's not the case here to some degree as well, just not explained.

Matt

Quote from: archonforest on October 21, 2018, 08:17:25 AM

They don't. The article said there's no storage fast enough to store it at the same rate it's captured, so they don't. That's why they can only run it for a few femtoseconds (only 25 frames, 2500 femtoseconds were recorded in the video they showed). Presumably there's some buffer in the recording device which can hold up to 25 frames or so. Then I guess they transfer that to a drive afterwards it's finished.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.