SpeedTree License

Started by WAS, October 22, 2018, 01:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

So, eval was pretty quick (and limited to speedtree, couldn't test in TG) and didn't get much done but have an opportunity to use Speedtree over remote desktop, however we both can't seem to determine from the license if that means I could sell the objects or distribute them? It doesn't seem to make any mention of mutliple parties like other licenses do for education and firms. Can anyone shed any light?

Since the license is his, under his name, and I would be selling them under my own, we're wondering if the "made on legit copy" clause actually carries over.

Dune

You're not allowed to distribute/sell anything made in ST, afaik.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 22, 2018, 01:26:03 AM
You're not allowed to distribute/sell anything made in ST, afaik.

It does define in the SpeedTree EULA that is in regards to the Model Library Components. IE, presets, and textures. You can formulate your own tree, and use your own texture assets form what I gather from starting a drawn tree.

It does mention if you are/were going to use Model Library Components you would need to contact unreal@speedtree.com  (unreal assets).

Dune

But what's the definition of library components? If that means the meshes used, you're nowhere. Unless you also make your own meshes (which I do as well). It would certainly be interesting to know what exactly is allowed to distribute....

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 22, 2018, 02:12:51 AM
But what's the definition of library components? If that means the meshes used, you're nowhere. Unless you also make your own meshes (which I do as well). It would certainly be interesting to know what exactly is allowed to distribute....

That is true, but I don't think that applies when you're creating the mesh from your own angles/variables, but the preset meshes. For example, a lot of tutorials always start with a pre-set from what I seen, where the real power I see is in custom drawing and than refining that.

Probably just give that email a ring and see what they say.

Cause in reality if that is true, there are a lot of trees for sale that are very obviously from speedtree presets online as is. xD Just diff textures and tweeks. The palm tree set I got from free3d are almost identical to clicking "Palm_Low" just new textures. Especially the unrealistic twil it gives palm branches i can't figure out how to control, that they couldn't control either apparently lol.

Dune

Yeah, give'm a buzz and see what they say. But I fear they'll say that no output can be sold/distributed at all.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 22, 2018, 05:55:15 AM
Yeah, give'm a buzz and see what they say. But I fear they'll say that no output can be sold/distributed at all.

The email is specifically licensing assets for sale. But yeah we'll see. Waiting on a email.

zaxxon

Per my conversations directly with the IDV folks (the parent company), meshes generated in Speedtree (ST) are definitely restricted from redistribution except in a shared workplace environment where every user possesses a license, and highly doubtful that any resale would be approved..  This is a discussion that has appeared in this forum in the past. Undoubtedly folks have abused the terms of the EULA, and I imagine IDV isn't keen on policing every violation. They (IDV), claim that even altered geometry of ST meshes can be identified as an ST mesh, maybe that's true. ST is an industry standard for both Gaming and Motion Pictures, with all of the awards you can name. With the elimination of the "Studio Modeler" version and the switch to a subscription fee model, IDV pretty much abandoned the "Hobbyist" market. Visiting the IDV site these days, so much of the activity is centered around the versions dedicated to Unity and Unreal (and Lumberyard). At nineteen dollars a month and frequent sales on tree/plant types, that seems to be the sweet spot market-wise, especially considering Unity and Unreal are free. A better solution for tree/plant assets for TG users may lie with an old Planetside competitor: e-on. The ability to model and procedurally change the asset attributes by size, age, seasonality, wind influence, etc,  and create an endless variety of high quality objects is what ST does, but so does the The Plant Factory from e-on. e-on, unlike IDV, has an arrangement to allow tree/plant creators to offer their models on a company sponsored online market. e-on offers a free utility called "The Plant Factory Exporter"  that loads the  Plant Factory object and allows the user to modify the object by all of the above mentioned features and 'randomize' the results. The objects come with all of the maps, and include the seasonal variants. I have licenses for both ST and TPF, and while I prefer ST to work in, the plants from TPF are quite impressive. There is a problem currently with the e-on site and it's online market, but I've had recent conversations with e-on and they hope to be up and running before years end. I can provide the Exporter link if anyone has a TPF model they want to mess with. The plants should be available with the resumption of e-on's full site (Cornucopia 3D). I've attached a few images rendered in TG of modified TPF trees. These were all made by a TPF artist named Frederic Bec, and were $20-25 US dollars each. Not bad considering the thousands of variations each one can provide. Not intended as sales pitch for sure, but having access to quality assets that can be modified to fit the scene for a reasonable cost is a cool deal.

WAS

Wow, thanks for that in depth explanation and comparative points, zaxxon. That is very much appreciated for me, and future reference. I've been starting to look into model work as I do have a need to create models for scenes, to distribute with the scenes. And often with others veggies they need to be highly modified on the texture level to match scenes/plant types so I might as well start figuring out how to model these thing. I was interesting in SpeedTree for the ease of development, as what I do have, Blender, is more than painfully slow, and I have yet to grasp all of blender, considering most of it is on a macro level and users even in tutorials have to have a macro widget on screen to display what keys and combos they hit, which go by quick, making following tutorials even hard.

I've always found macro keys and hotkeys to be helpful, but they're just that, ease of access, they shouldn't be relied upon in documentation or tutorials in the community. I remember when documentation back in the day was ALWAYS geared towards basic input all the way through, and hotkeys just being a reference page you yourself can choose to use when properties are mentioned that have said hotkeys.