Long Valley well Harvested

Started by bobbystahr, October 23, 2018, 02:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Made with a SSshader and fractal warp and populated mainly by this forum masonpappy's? Ornamental Grass Mature, Dune's free grass7, and his Cyprus along with one of Walli's pine bush collection and a .lwo pine tree I found elsewhere. C&C welcome.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

I really like this POV bobby. Nice. The trees on the right side have some funny green color. Kind of bright for me. Perhaps a little tweaking?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Very cool perspective indeed, reminds me of alien landscapes you'd see in movies.

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on October 23, 2018, 03:04:58 PM
I really like this POV bobby. Nice. The trees on the right side have some funny green color. Kind of bright for me. Perhaps a little tweaking?

Well you do recall I'm colourblind in the green/brown areas so I can't see it. Feel free to tweak in your graphics app...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 23, 2018, 03:30:03 PM
Very cool perspective indeed, reminds me of alien landscapes you'd see in movies.

I thought that as well but have no alien foliage...this is the trade-off.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Quote from: bobbystahr on October 23, 2018, 04:00:23 PM

Well you do recall I'm colourblind in the green/brown areas so I can't see it. Feel free to tweak in your graphics app...

Would it be helpful to have a tool that remaps green to blue on your screen so that you can see gradations of red through green clearly, and compare your renders with photographs? Are there any programs on Windows or Mac that do this? Maybe you could setup a Photoshop filter and drop all your renders and reference photos into it.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Nice render, Bobby. Lighting is very good, there's a mood of expectancy. It also has something of an ancient runway, now grown over. Perhaps an abandoned spaceship/giant aircraft, rusted and grown over (ivy generator) would be nice to add halfway. And/or some abandoned building at the sides. Like Nils did with his 'hobbit ship'.
I would (also) ad a good number of internal grass (colored by the ground) to the front area (fading out to fake grasses), so the valley has this soft grassy look.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on October 24, 2018, 12:14:51 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on October 23, 2018, 04:00:23 PM

Would it be helpful to have a tool that remaps green to blue on your screen so that you can see gradations of red through green clearly, and compare your renders with photographs? Are there any programs on Windows or Mac that do this? Maybe you could setup a Photoshop filter and drop all your renders and reference photos into it.

I'd not considered that. most of my art life I've had a colour checker/wife to catch stuff like that so it only started being a problem as a single man and shows up mainly in my Terragen work based on comments I've received since TG arrived. Most times my 2D work doesn't involve gradiated colour or blends as it's often gross ad copy so it never came up.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

I like this dreamy and mysterious look.

Could be in the same game or in the same book as this one from luvs:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25741.msg256322.html#msg256322

luvsmuzik

I don't mind the leafy green color on the cliff rockface as much I would decrease the population a little to have the beautiful rockface frame the forefront pine. That is one cool cliff bobbystahr. :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on October 24, 2018, 09:37:17 AM
I don't mind the leafy green color on the cliff rockface as much I would decrease the population a little to have the beautiful rockface frame the forefront pine. That is one cool cliff bobbystahr. :)

thanks luvs, twas an accidental product of the Fractal Warp shader, untweaked except for the texture.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 24, 2018, 01:20:31 AM
Nice render, Bobby. Lighting is very good, there's a mood of expectancy. It also has something of an ancient runway, now grown over. Perhaps an abandoned spaceship/giant aircraft, rusted and grown over (ivy generator) would be nice to add halfway. And/or some abandoned building at the sides. Like Nils did with his 'hobbit ship'.
I would (also) ad a good number of internal grass (colored by the ground) to the front area (fading out to fake grasses), so the valley has this soft grassy look.

I like the abandoned runway concept...will try some of the suggestions...you were referring to the TG grass patch right?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

RichTwo

Quote from: Dune on October 24, 2018, 01:20:31 AM

What about the calcium deposits?   ;)

You got something good going on here, Bobby.  I am trying to understand the texture at "ground" level - rather grainy or noisy.  Maybe add some dirt or sand patches?
They're all wasted!

Dune

Yes, from the small preview it looks like grass, but up close it's too obviously fake grass, hence my suggestion. You can of course have some worn and overgrown  tarmac/concrete lanes here and there, or gravel patches.... lots of exiting possibilities.