Somewhere Out There, Maybe

Started by RichTwo, October 25, 2018, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Just toying with an extraterrestrial concept.  I could do some work on the starfield, and add a crater or two in the lower distance.  It was getting late last night and I wanted to be done with it after trying other versions that just couldn't seem to satisfy me.  This is getting close, though.
They're all wasted!

sboerner

Really liking this. Has kind of a combination Chesley Bonestell/Stanley Kubrik kind of feel to it. One tiny question – it seems you intended to have no atmosphere, but there is some haze in the distance. Maybe eliminate that? Or add a very thin atmospheric layer that is visible at the horizon.

RichTwo

Quote from: sboerner on October 25, 2018, 12:46:02 PM
Really liking this. Has kind of a combination Chesley Bonestell/Stanley Kubrik kind of feel to it. One tiny question – it seems you intended to have no atmosphere, but there is some haze in the distance. Maybe eliminate that? Or add a very thin atmospheric layer that is visible at the horizon.

The concept was to have a very thin clear atmosphere that would allow starlight.  Mostly for effect than realism.  I may see what a layer of cirrus looks like on my next attempt.  Thanks!
They're all wasted!

sboerner

I see that now. It's a nice effect. A thin layer of cirrus might give it more definition.

The starfield looks great. Is that an image or is it procedural?

How

RichTwo

Quote from: sboerner on October 25, 2018, 01:34:20 PM

A noise-generated JPEG created in Photoshop loaded into default shader for the background.
They're all wasted!

RichTwo

A redo - added low clouds, altered the sky color, and postworked the "rings" on the "distant" planet (it's actually closer than the reddish one...) and the starburst is TG's own doing in the Render settings.
They're all wasted!

sjefen

This is so cool!

Could you try to give it a little denser atmosphere? I think with the right colors you could still see the stars and at the same time get a little more sense of depth, but I may be wrong.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on October 25, 2018, 06:25:23 PM
A redo - added low clouds, altered the sky color, and postworked the "rings" on the "distant" planet (it's actually closer than the reddish one...) and the starburst is TG's own doing in the Render settings.

Oh i like this update with the red planet and the craters with the haze. A thicker atmosphere may bring out the depth of the planet more.

Quote from: sboerner on October 25, 2018, 01:34:20 PM
I see that now. It's a nice effect. A thin layer of cirrus might give it more definition.

How

I am not sure if this is what Rich is using, but it looks similar to the actions I posted here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,629.msg254801.html#msg254801

And legacy version here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,629.msg256252.html#msg256252

Pretty basic method, but creates a good effect imo.

DocCharly65

sboerner

This is looking really cool. The crater is a nice touch. I'm not sure about making the atmosphere more dense. The clouds make the point, and the apparent thinness is one of the things that makes this otherworldly, IMHO. Whatever, go with your own instincts. Great stuff, reminds me of classic sci-fi paperback cover artwork.

QuoteI am not sure if this is what Rich is using, but it looks similar to the actions I posted here: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,629.msg254801.html#msg254801

Thanks for the reminder, Jordan. I remember coming across that once before. Useful Photoshop technique, have to file that away for a rainy day.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

I'm with sboerner, I like the strangeness of the atmo+clouds as they are, and they give a fantastic view of the planets in the sky. Very cool image!

- Oshyan