How to go about making a 20 sec animation. Tips needed.

Started by Jgone, December 05, 2018, 04:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgone

Hello ! So to keep this short : Me and my friends are working on a videogame. We came up with an idea that i could render a 20 sec clip that will run on the background during the start meu of the game (the part where you select new game, continue, settings etc.)

But the thing is, 20 sec seems to be quite a bit of frames to render, specially for this scene. The idea is to hold the camera in place, but still somehow make it look animated. So only thing i can really come up with is using moving clouds, but i think we all know what clouds do to render times.. 20 sec of animation with approximately 23 frames per second.. I don't even dare to do the math.

So any tips on this situation ? How would i convey animation instead of clouds ? Or is there any tips how to optimize the clouds in a way that they don't multiply the render times.

The resolution should be 1080p, so that is also a big factor in the render times.

Here is a render of the scene we want to animate. It's very basic but we are running out of time with the project.  :-X

KlausK

hi,
I would opt for some Post Production trickery. Render out a large file and do a fake camera move.
Put some elements in (like birds or so), make the water move, let some mist float over the or something like that.
To me this seems to be the fastet way to get some sort of animation.

Or try the 2D clouds. Maybe you get something that is visually good enough for a background scene.

Or only render every second or third frame and do some frame blending afterwards?

I would make sure you only animate and render out stuff you can actually see behind the start menu...

Anyways, good luck.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Hannes did a nice trick the other day with single renders projected on cards, at least I believe it was Hannes. If you'd do 2 renders, where the front mountain would move in relation to the whole back scene, you'd have enough, I'd say. Move the front card (with only the mountain masked in) a bit for every frame. Even printscreen would work then, I guess. 

Hannes

cyphyr

Quote from: Dune on December 06, 2018, 01:36:08 AM
Hannes did a nice trick the other day with single renders projected on cards, at least I believe it was Hannes. If you'd do 2 renders, where the front mountain would move in relation to the whole back scene, you'd have enough, I'd say. Move the front card (with only the mountain masked in) a bit for every frame. Even printscreen would work then, I guess. 
It was me ... well I did a couple of versions ... others may have also done some. :)

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25804.0.html
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kadri

You can render only the clouds in half HD and comp later into the HD landscape too, together with some techniques like said above for example.

Dune