Pyroclastic smoke column

Started by Hannes, October 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Wow, that's really impressive!

- Oshyan

WAS

Wow this is really cool twister! I love twisters, in fact Twister (1996) is a favorite film of mine.

I'm curious what this would look like utilizing Voronoi Ridges for noise or Perlin Ridges. I notice as it twists, along the boundary you can see "circular" plumes spin, which I'm not sure is too conducive with a twister, at least with the main column (not the outer effect).

Otherwise though this is really amazing work. :O

DocCharly65

Wow again! Great work and creepy look!

What about render times with all these cloud layers?

Hannes

Quote from: DocCharly65 on October 29, 2018, 04:42:07 AM
Wow again! Great work and creepy look!

What about render times with all these cloud layers?

Thanks a lot! In this low quality and resolution it took three minutes per frame.

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 28, 2018, 06:49:33 PM
Wow this is really cool twister! I love twisters, in fact Twister (1996) is a favorite film of mine.

I'm curious what this would look like utilizing Voronoi Ridges for noise or Perlin Ridges. I notice as it twists, along the boundary you can see "circular" plumes spin, which I'm not sure is too conducive with a twister, at least with the main column (not the outer effect).

Otherwise though this is really amazing work. :O

Thanks Jordan. Oh yes, I really enjoyed this movie as well, and watched it several times.

You may be right about the billowy shapes. In the meantime I made the same animation with vortex shaders put behind each cloud fractal and animated the center according to the center of the puffs.
I used only a vorticity of 1, so it's quite subtle, but I'll sure test some other noise flavors.

WAS

The depth, even in such small resolution, just looks so nice with the effect. Really like it still.

I've tried to do twisters with a single cloud and a inverted cone shape but the issue I get is it seems nye impossible to actually add plumey definition alone the cone.

Hannes

Thanks Jordan.
I think you were right about the noise flavor. I did a test overnight with the exact same settings like before, but with perlin ridges instead of billows. Looks a lot better to me. Vorticity in the vortex shaders is still at 1. Did a test with 2, but it didn't look good.

WAS

Oh wow, yeah it really brings it together, all the shapes look cut and warped by the high winds direction.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Hannes on October 29, 2018, 09:36:16 AM
Thanks a lot! In this low quality and resolution it took three minutes per frame.

Ok that will be surely more than 1 h per frame in 720p @ Detail 0.5 / AA 5! ;)

Great latest version!

Oshyan

That's really damn impressive!

- Oshyan

WAS

I am certainly interested in a high quality animation of this, I really want to investigate the depth and scale of the detail in the formations, as this really has level of realism to it.

Tangled-Universe

Awesome twister Hannes :)

How would it look if you also animate some movement on Y for the noise and use 4D, pretty similar to your smoke column?
It looks like rotating noise, but not very "sucky" yet :P

Hannes

Thanks guys!!!
Actually the noise is already animated on Y, maybe not enough. I increased it in the latest version.
At the moment I'm testing a twister scene in a suitable environment including the sky. Not that easy. In the meantime I did a lot of tests. I'll show it as soon as it's ready. It's still low res of course, but when I'm really satisfied I'll render it in better quality.
I'm planning to add some more stuff like a road maybe.
Here is a frame of my actual animation.

Hannes

I reworked the whole thing and after endless testing of the funnel's and the sky clouds' movement I added some environment. The camera is slightly animated to give it some handheld feeling.
Rendering a low res animation right now. Here's the first frame.

Dune

Hannes