Pyroclastic smoke column

Started by Hannes, October 26, 2018, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

DocCharly65

Quote from: Dune on November 05, 2018, 10:05:47 AM
:(

ECHO!!!  :( :(

Really looking forward to the result - the miniature preview looks already promising :)

Hannes

Here is an animation. I rendered 128 frames in eightteen and a half hours. I'm quite happy with it except the transition between the funnel and the vortex in the sky. It's OK, but it could be better.
It's really tough, because it takes countless test renderings to see, if it's OK or not. The RTP is a good help for testing the static cloud formation, but you can't see there how it looks animated.
However, it's a start.

Dune

It's awesome!!! Worth the wait  ;D

DocCharly65

Echo Ulco! :)

The low resolution and AA combined with the shaking cam makes it even looking more realistic. Could be a real live video from YT :)

j meyer

otakar

Oshyan

Pretty impressive indeed! I imagined you'd save a good deal of render time not having RT reflections on the road though. I actually find them a little distracting and unrealistic (that they're so clear). Specular only might not look much better, to be fair, but as a test of mainly the cloud workings I'd let go of the RT.

Are you planning to keep fine tuning this?

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks again!
Oshyan, the road is meant to be wet from rain. I think it's not too reflective. The reflective shader is already broken up, so it's not a perfect mirror. Maybe I can add some more displacement to make it look better. Anyway, I won't uncheck ray trace reflections. I like the reflections of the objects very much. I already did some tests adding rain to the scene by using my own rain clipfile, but haven't found a good look so far.
I haven't tested it, but as far as I can see rendering times weren't too high compared to a version without any reflections.

And yes, I'm going to finetune this thing some more. From time to time I need a break from a scene I worked on for a long time to get some fresh eyes, hoping I don't forget how I did things...

At the moment I'm rendering a different view just for fun looking upwards. And I found out, that for the last 100 frames of this (originally) 200 frames animation the connection between the funnel and the sky looks way better.
So maybe next time I'll render the other half.

Hannes

As I wrote: another view.
Don't take it too serious... ;)

DocCharly65

Oshyan

Hah! That's fantastic. Lots of great video humor today. :D

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks!!! I know, the cow is way too large, but otherwise it was just a dot. It was just a joke anyway.  ;)

Dune

Nice start of my working day, Hannes! Love it.