Simple Shape Warp

Started by jackblack, October 30, 2018, 03:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackblack

How do I simply warp a simple shape? I see a lot of complex setups for all sorts of things, but I don't see anything that is more simplistic, which technically it should be pretty simple, right?

WAS

Here are several (5) forms of warping, all using a simple shape as a line. Some require displacement, others don't, but can utilize it.

Each warper or driving elements all have individual settings which can be changed for all sorts of effects. For example, upping the Smallest Scale and/or lowering the Colour Roughness on Power Fractal Shader drivers can create smoother effects.

jackblack

Odd. Your file worked fine, but I do the exact same setup as the second one and it just gives me a straight line.

jackblack

Even stranger I literally copied and pasted the second one from that file to a new scene and it still gives me a straight line.
What am I doing wrong?

WAS

That method requires displacement, also, you have a Compute Terrain, which patch size may be interfering with the warping.

jackblack

I even tried it without the compute terrain node and it still gave me the exact same result. I literally copied and pasted it.
The displacement and every thing is copied and pasted.
The first one worked just fine, other than the fact that if I added any sort of terrain displacement it would disappear.

WAS

I'm not sure without being able to look.

Matt

In WAS's scene, method B doesn't have any effect. However, the entire surface is being displaced at the end, which gives the illusion that the other warpers are doing something, but only some of them are.

You need to warp along the X axis, so you need to use either a Redirect Shader or a Vector Displacement.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 30, 2018, 07:36:49 PM
In WAS's scene, method B doesn't have any effect. However, the entire surface is being displaced at the end, which gives the illusion that the other warpers are doing something, but only some of them are.

You need to warp along the X axis, so you need to use either a Redirect Shader or a Vector Displacement.

Strange, Method B was only the second method made, and the effect was present from the get go. This is the method I use to warp stones, and it works fine. Just need displacement, and scale is everything.

Though I did forget the Redirect outside a warp shader will effect all.

jackblack

Here's my file. In WAS's I saw no redirect shader, in his file everything worked.

WAS

Perhaps it's the type of displacement, being hard edges and flat top. I only added this method as it's what I use as a *basic* warper for small stones, usually I'll use a redirect for the warper.

But yeah, for example, look at these stones, all nice and warped.

Maybe Matt can explain better.

Matt

Fake Stones use a 3D noise function (Voronoi), so warping in any direction (including the normal) is sufficient to affect them. Simple Shape Shader is different because it is projected along Y and therefore you need to warp in X or Z to see any change.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on October 31, 2018, 04:21:56 AM
Fake Stones use a 3D noise function (Voronoi), so warping in any direction (including the normal) is sufficient to affect them. Simple Shape Shader is different because it is projected along Y and therefore you need to warp in X or Z to see any change.

Yeah there we have it, so it's best to just omit that to the redirect method proceeding it (Redirect Shader method).  The Vector Warp method can be very useful, but in a lot of instances without fine tuned noise, can lean to the North East / East. This is also common with redirect, but you have individual displacement channels to fiddle with.