Balade matinale (path tracing version added)

Started by Antoine, October 31, 2018, 03:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine

Hello Oshyan,
I was using GISD in the standard version, not AO alone. There is no post processing here, sun and light settings were the same. Path tracing on surfaces makes renders more constrated (and more realistic).
How many bounces are used in the path tracing engine ? Do you plan to add the possibility for the user to choose the bounce number in the future ?
David.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

Strange, I wouldn't think path tracing would affect brightness of the vegetation in that way (it hasn't in most of my tests). The one thought that comes to mind is if there is notable reflectivity on any of those plants, then the path tracing system would treat those differently (there is a new soft reflection algorithm that is enabled with PT). That could explain it.

The number of bounces may be user-adjustable in the future. I think it's currently 6.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 03, 2018, 02:08:47 PM
Strange, I wouldn't think path tracing would affect brightness of the vegetation in that way (it hasn't in most of my tests). The one thought that comes to mind is if there is notable reflectivity on any of those plants, then the path tracing system would treat those differently (there is a new soft reflection algorithm that is enabled with PT). That could explain it.

The number of bounces may be user-adjustable in the future. I think it's currently 6.

- Oshyan

Could it also be reflective vegetation with somehwat symmetrical faces to leaves and such from generation that light bounces between them in addition to enviro light and sun? Creating specular like brightness

Oshyan

The specular model for path tracing mode is just completely different. It may be taking into account those aspects you mention, when the normal model doesn't, I'm not sure. But I do know it's very different (and, as I understand it, generally more realistic/correct).

- Oshyan

Antoine

Perhaps transluscency (which is always enabled for grasses) has to do with it also. Path tracing renderer will calculate it much more precisely.

David.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 04, 2018, 09:55:02 PM
The specular model for path tracing mode is just completely different. It may be taking into account those aspects you mention, when the normal model doesn't, I'm not sure. But I do know it's very different (and, as I understand it, generally more realistic/correct).

- Oshyan

certainly more realistic....if I ever climb out of this money / house hole I gotta upgrade for sure. My mouth waters when I see these path traced renders....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 06, 2018, 02:56:14 PM
Quote from: Oshyan on November 04, 2018, 09:55:02 PM

- Oshyan

certainly more realistic....if I ever climb out of this money / house hole I gotta upgrade for sure. My mouth waters when I see these path traced renders....

Yeah, it's a very serious improvement to the beauty of final renders. Much more realistic. I hope it's released in freeware this year or early 2019.

Oshyan

As a primary and general rendering method (and not a specialized feature more suitable for licensed versions) it will indeed be available in the free version once 4.3 is released officially.

- Oshyan

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

zaxxon

Even without the path-trace it's a stunning image!  But the final result is a huge incentive to upgrade: well conceived and executed, an exquisite image!

reck

That's a lovely image Antoine. I'm curious how you find Grove 3D, i've heard good things about it and was wondering how well it actually works?

Unfortunately there's no demo version so it's quite hard for me to understand how well it works\performs. What's the workflow like in getting it from Blender into Terragen?

Cheers

Antoine

Thanks you !

QuoteI'm curious how you find Grove 3D, i've heard good things about it and was wondering how well it actually works?

Unfortunately there's no demo version so it's quite hard for me to understand how well it works\performs. What's the workflow like in getting it from Blender into Terragen?

In my personal opinion and for my needs,  I am very satisfied with The Grove, it creates very realistic and natural looking trees in just a few clicks. As for the twigs they sell, they are very good too.  Twigs are made of real meshes and they are applied to the tree by particles system.
For use in Terragen, I first apply a decimate geometry to the twig as much as I can, if not the tree could be so heavy in polygons that it would be impossible to import and handle in Modo and Terragen. However, I couldn't find a way to do that with connifer twigs because thay are made of hundred of needles
After that, I export the tree from Blender in fbx format, I import it in Modo 903 and from there I export the tree in obj format. There are some manual adjustments to make in Terragen (alpha, transluscency, specular, colors, bumps...)
So yes, for what I want to achieve, and at my level, The Grove is exactly what I need.

David

Oshyan

Does Blender not natively export to OBJ?

- Oshyan

Antoine

QuoteDoes Blender not natively export to OBJ?

It does, but not with the twigs that has been placed using particles system.

David