Sunday's Project

Started by bobbystahr, November 04, 2018, 04:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Painted shader river with many pops.., Foamy river clip by ade, dune grasses, mrlamppost bushes on the banks, XFROG fir and a lodgepole pine tgo from some one I have forgotten but thanks. C&C welcome,
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

You made good use of a Sunday afternoon.  Mountains are really nice.  Now, I know it's just because my color vision is what it is, but some of the green colors are a tad exaggerated.  Good work, though!
They're all wasted!

WAS

Oh I love this setup. The river roughness coupled with what you can barely see of it looks natural. I like it a lot. Maybe a little more breakup to the uniformity of the banks?

sboerner

QuoteYou made good use of a Sunday afternoon.

Agreed. Nice composition, Bobby. The point of view really puts you in the scene.

Dune

Yeah, do continue with this one. A few things to change, IMO; snow is a bit overexposed, and the banks could have some different grasses, they look very clumpy, like carpet. You could even try small patches  (but very dense) of the internal grass, rotation set to almost max, and with a small patch compute normal before it. And the soft shadows!

DocCharly65

I love that wild water! Nice! Worth to go on with it! :)

Is it only my imagination or do I see an old xFrog-mistake? The trees in the foreground seem to have rectangular tree trunks.
If they are object-files you can separate the trunks and smooth them (eg. with poseray). But I don't know, what to do if they are TGOs. Sorry.

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 05, 2018, 02:32:43 AM
I love that wild water! Nice! Worth to go on with it! :)

Is it only my imagination or do I see an old xFrog-mistake? The trees in the foreground seem to have rectangular tree trunks.
If they are object-files you can separate the trunks and smooth them (eg. with poseray). But I don't know, what to do if they are TGOs. Sorry.

I believe you can still right-click "Save object file..." and choose "OBJ" again. You'll loose any special shader work though.

luvsmuzik

Bravo on composition! I also love the raging river/stream!
Agree the snow could be broken up just a tad, but excellent render just the same. :)

bobbystahr

Thanks all, was waiting for comments which confirm my tweak list. Sadly Doc, the lodgepole pines pop are .tgo so beyond geometry tweaking, it's just one tree but as noted groups as well as texturing and U/V disappear when saved as .obj. Quite agree on the snow Ulco, thanks...I found a different lodgepole pine at 3darchive I'm going to try once it U/V and texture it but it doesn't have that attractive curve.
Doing a crater experiment to fill in time...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 05, 2018, 06:12:29 PM
Thanks all, was waiting for comments which confirm my tweak list. Sadly Doc, the lodgepole pines pop are .tgo so beyond geometry tweaking, it's just one tree but as noted groups as well as texturing and U/V disappear when saved as .obj. Quite agree on the snow Ulco, thanks...I found a different lodgepole pine at 3darchive I'm going to try once it U/V and texture it but it doesn't have that attractive curve.
Doing a crater experiment to fill in time...

You should be able to just save the OBJ, smooth it, import it, and than copy over the whole default shaders and other shaders from the TGO version to apply back to the parts.

bobbystahr

woo hoo, found the original .obj and smoothed it in poseray...sweet...fixed the riveredge foliage as well as the snow....rendering now.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

well I am happy with the new lodgepole pine and am pleased with the added river mist..for your perusal I present....had to let it run past my bed time so this is as soon as I could get back here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New