Height Field Operators For Alpine and other Fractals?

Started by jackblack, November 02, 2018, 06:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackblack

So is there a way to apply the height field operators for other fractals, such as the alpine fractals?

WAS

You can generate all sorts of heightmaps based on fractals, displacement maps, functions, etc, and than apply heightmap effects like erode v3 and such to them, if that's what you mean.

Oshyan

To apply Heightfield operators to procedural shader data you have to convert to a heightfield first. Procedurals are infinite in the area/size they can occupy and they detail they can represent, while heightfields are finite both in area and detail (resolution). So you'd create a Heightfield Generate and set the size to cover the area of the terrain that you want to convert and use heightfield operators on (you can adjust the resolution later if you find you need more or less). Then connect the output of the shader(s) you want to convert to the Shader input of the Heightfield Generate and press the Generate button in Heightfield Generate settings. You can then add heightfield operators to work on the resulting heightfield which resulted from converting your procedurals to heightfield.

- Oshyan

jackblack

Ah yes, thanks guys, this has been a big help for me.  :D :D :D

WAS

I just posted an example project utilizing the Heightfield Generate as well in the project section "Gondoresque".

jackblack

I basically found a new way of creating rivers to happen between mountains, I merged two different heightfields, one (the actual rivers) had a height clip and the alpines had very small leadins and the mountains had large leadins.
I have the tgd file attached.
Very oddly though, this does not work at all any color shaders lol.

WAS

Interesting! Nice job! Always fun playing with TG.

Also really interesting mountain in the distance there