Rio Ulco

Started by zaxxon, November 06, 2018, 08:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

It might not be a forum-specific issue but a web browser issue. They're probably being displayed either with or without a color profile, i.e. the opposite of whatever you have in your normal image viewers. Try loading the local file before posting just in your web browser, i.e. drag and drop a .jpg or .png onto an empty tab. See if it does the same thing.

- Oshyan

WAS

It's definitely a whole different mood without the clouds. With the clouds it gives a bit of a chilly feeling. A storm approaching sort of vibe. While without clouds it feels much warmer.

I'm not sure which one i like more. I do really love those cloud formations, they're really pretty.

Oshyan

To be clear I have a definite bias against those clouds on probably an unfair basis just because I associate them so strongly with a different image. If they were similar in character but a bit different in actual shape I'd be more in favor. But I don't expect you to be worrying about tiny little changes I might want as one person, haha. Just one little blip in a sea of feedback. And regardless I love the image overall, with or without the clouds. Definitely prefer the brighter look though. :)

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 10, 2018, 10:22:13 PM
To be clear I have a definite bias against those clouds on probably an unfair basis just because I associate them so strongly with a different image. If they were similar in character but a bit different in actual shape I'd be more in favor. But I don't expect you to be worrying about tiny little changes I might want as one person, haha. Just one little blip in a sea of feedback. And regardless I love the image overall, with or without the clouds. Definitely prefer the brighter look though. :)

- Oshyan

Oh it's re-used? I struggle making nice clouds so I could see a reason to save them (I do).

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 10, 2018, 08:28:31 PM
Brightness and color look great in that latest version, and I actually like it without the clouds. It does change the feel of the image, but to my eye for the better.

- Oshyan

Hear! Hear!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

My preference goes to the version with clouds. It smoothly goes from land to sky, whereas in the cloudless version, I miss something. In the latest version I do like the brightness, though I have to say the brooding warm feel of the first is still my favorite. Perhaps that desaturated one a little brighter will be the perfect match. The desaturated version looks more natural. And sorry, Oshyan; I don't like your cool adjustment... too cold blue IMO.

Tangled-Universe

Fantastic work! :) I really love the shore, it's so realistic!
I do have a tiny suggestion though, which is to add some algae/staining to the stones under the water, say greenish tints and add a density colour to the water with density 0.5 for starters. Choose a density colour which is off from the colours you used for algae/staining of the stones.
I'm curious to see how such a setup would look like. I can imagine waters like these have some murkiness to them.

The clouds... Well, this is how I look at it:

Without clouds the composition is slightly out of balance. Quite a bit of the image-space is just empty sky. I suppose in this case rule of thirds applies and perhaps you can make it even 25% sky only if there's something you really want to show off near the camera in the foreground.
With clouds the composition is nice and well balanced. Oshyan is perhaps a bit too sensitive about the clouds being the same as in a previous render, but I admit I recognized them immediately as well ;)
The clouds look a bit broad and flat perhaps, so should you choose to go with a final version with clouds then perhaps you could try different seeds and shoot for a little bit more vertical profile for cloud shapes.

sjefen

Even with no clouds it looks beautiful  ;)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

zaxxon

Cloudy day or not? Thanks for the feedback. Since this was the scene originally built with the current clouds, maybe I should change the other one?  ;) 

Let's not lose sight that this scene is built upon Ulco's magnificent set-up, so his opinion regarding the clouds carries additional meaning here. But, I can appreciate where Oshyan's coming from and TU provided some good thoughts along how to modify the existing cloud forms. Also, thanks for the great ideas regarding improving the shoreline details Martin, I'll see if I can incorporate them in a future version. I also have thought about re-introducing some river trout (present in earlier unposted versions) and some flocks of starlings swirling in the background. The base scene is certainly worthy of more of my time, thanks again Ulco for this 'collaboration' opportunity! (and we'll work on that little bird some more!)

WAS

Quote from: zaxxon on November 11, 2018, 10:36:21 AM
Cloudy day or not? Thanks for the feedback. Since this was the scene originally built with the current clouds, maybe I should change the other one?  ;) 

Let's not lose sight that this scene is built upon Ulco's magnificent set-up, so his opinion regarding the clouds carries additional meaning here. But, I can appreciate where Oshyan's coming from and TU provided some good thoughts along how to modify the existing cloud forms. Also, thanks for the great ideas regarding improving the shoreline details Martin, I'll see if I can incorporate them in a future version. I also have thought about re-introducing some river trout (present in earlier unposted versions) and some flocks of starlings swirling in the background. The base scene is certainly worthy of more of my time, thanks again Ulco for this 'collaboration' opportunity! (and we'll work on that little bird some more!)

This sort of setup, for me, begs a timelapse from a cloudy cold morning to a warm afternoon.

Jo Kariboo

Beautifull work again, and photorealistic!