Critique New Render

Started by Scott_TX, November 06, 2018, 03:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott_TX

Any comments would be appreciated.
AMD 3900X with 48GB Ram GTX1660Ti

WAS

Hi Scott,

What a great start to this scene. I really enjoy it, how long have you been tinkering with TG?

The one thing I could suggest is colour variation in the models via shaders. It's actually pretty easy to do so long as the object itself isn't broken up into to many parts that could be merged. Also some transparency to some of the leaf models might help them pop.

The rocks could use maybe one more (smaller) scaled version merged in to Highest Raise with the Merge Shader to give the appearance of scale variation.

Aside from those things there isn't much to add except that this is one of those renders (the way lighting is set up) that may really benefit from Path Tracing with the foliage shadows, especially internally within the pops which would probably help define depth month the pops.

Great work, and can't wait to see more from ya, you seem to be on the path to success.

otakar

Very good. For the shore, I'd add some smaller size rocks with color variation to break it up, especially the flatter area. What are those leafy plants? While nice looking, they are all very straight and that detracts from realism. Perhaps some leafy bushes interspersed would help? Is that dark cloud intentional? Almost looks like a plume from a fire. Maybe should have more volume - looks a bit flat. Just some ideas for you. But again, really well done overall.

DocCharly65

Great start!

Are the straight plants nettles? Perhapss you can vary their angles to the terrain? If they are part of a population just let lean them to the terrain.
The suggetion about some different sized rocks at the shore is good as well.

Anyway this will be great. I already like the edge of the woods very much!

Hannes

Hi Scott,
welcome to the forum!! This is indeed a great start! I agree with the others. some more improvement, and you're there.
If you have access to a 3d modeling program, you could load these plants and bend them slightly. Thus you'd have some more variation in angles, if lean to terrain doesn't work, because the terrain is just too flat.

Dune

Quoteif lean to terrain doesn't work, because the terrain is just too flat.
You can always add a small fractal displaced quite roughly (but not high, so it won't lift trees above ground). Add as last fractal plus a compute normal with small patch in a separate line to the pop, and set rotation. They will rotate then, despite the overall flatness of terrain, and you won't see the displacements in the render.

Scott_TX

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 06, 2018, 03:18:26 PM
Hi Scott,

What a great start to this scene. I really enjoy it, how long have you been tinkering with TG?

The one thing I could suggest is colour variation in the models via shaders. It's actually pretty easy to do so long as the object itself isn't broken up into to many parts that could be merged. Also some transparency to some of the leaf models might help them pop.

The rocks could use maybe one more (smaller) scaled version merged in to Highest Raise with the Merge Shader to give the appearance of scale variation.

Aside from those things there isn't much to add except that this is one of those renders (the way lighting is set up) that may really benefit from Path Tracing with the foliage shadows, especially internally within the pops which would probably help define depth month the pops.

Great work, and can't wait to see more from ya, you seem to be on the path to success.

I have been using Terragen to render plants created by my students in Blender for a couple of school years.  And yeah I have fought to create a better shore line.

Scott_TX

Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 07, 2018, 08:39:13 AM
Great start!

Are the straight plants nettles? Perhapss you can vary their angles to the terrain? If they are part of a population just let lean them to the terrain.
The suggetion about some different sized rocks at the shore is good as well.

Anyway this will be great. I already like the edge of the woods very much!

No, they were created in blender.  The are a local species we call Bloodweed.  They are generally tall and straight.

Scott_TX

Here is an earlier version with a different shoreline.  I didn't like the upward displacement of some of the larger rocks and don't know how to fix it.  See lower left.

luvsmuzik

Welcome back Scott! You are still doing great with your Blender vegetation! Do you use the sapling generator or skin modifier method? However you are doing this, great wide trunks and texturing. Excellent leaf distribution too. :)

Scott_TX

Quote from: luvsmuzik on November 07, 2018, 01:31:11 PM
Welcome back Scott! You are still doing great with your Blender vegetation! Do you use the sapling generator or skin modifier method? However you are doing this, great wide trunks and texturing. Excellent leaf distribution too. :)

The trees were created with the blender sapling addon and with the modular tree addon.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Echo Danny and all the critiques I had have been mentioned...happy tweaking
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist