Terragen 4.3 Release Coming Soon

Started by Matt, November 07, 2018, 08:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldFlak

@Oshyan
Quote from: Oshyan on November 09, 2018, 05:48:32 PM
For skybox creation (*not* using a spherical camera, but rendering square cube faces)..... You would render out GI caches for all of your cube faces, then use "Equal blend within range" across all 6 cache files for *every* render. It will require some memory to load it all, but should eliminate seams.

Sounds good :) Is there a tut anywhere for this?

OldFlak....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Oshyan

Not that I'm aware of. But if you're familiar with normal skybox rendering, then this is just a minor modification. You would follow the GI cache use instructions here to generate the GI caches:
http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Terragen_4_Global_Illumination#Rendering_with_GI_cache_files

Remember, 1 cache for each of the cube faces (and these *all* need to be generated before final rendering of *any* cube face). They should be created with file names incorporating a number corresponding to the cube face, e.g. cubeface_0001.gic, cubeface_0002.gic, etc.

Then when you render, either use a GI cache loading name that incorporates an appropriate sequence wildcard (e.g. %04d), or if this doesn't make sense to you, I believe if you specify just the 1st file and set the rest correctly, it should auto-load. So the number of files to blend should be set to 6, equal to the number of cube faces (and the number of GI cache files, of course), and then use "Equal Blend Within Range".

Also don't forget to turn off motion blur when rendering cube faces, at least if you are animating the camera to achieve the 6 views (you can also do this manually).

As an alternative to all that you *could* try GI Prepass padding, however it's not guaranteed this will work as well as the cache-based method.

Honestly generating sphericals is much, much simpler. :D Maybe you can just convert a spherical image to a cube map with 3rd party software?

- Oshyan

Suppybird

Oh, nice ! Why OpenVDB export is just in LINUX ?????

pokoy

Quote from: Suppybird on November 19, 2018, 06:17:22 AM

Same here, I had expected this to be part of 4.3, the e-mail sent out recently states it's Linux only... I hope it's planned to support VDB with Win/Mac soon.

Suppybird

Same here, I had expected this to be part of 4.3, the e-mail sent out recently states it's Linux only... I hope it's planned to support VDB with Win/Mac soon.
[/quote]

Yes, it's really hard to understand. In general, 70% Graphics users use PC - Window. Peronally I will never use MAC and Linux (anymore).

Suppybird

Quote from: pokoy on November 19, 2018, 06:31:10 AM
Quote from: Suppybird on November 19, 2018, 06:17:22 AM

Yes, it's really hard to understand. In general, 70% Graphics users use PC - Window. Peronally I will never use MAC and Linux (anymore).

Matt

We plan to get VDB working on Windows and Mac soon. The developers of OpenVDB do very little to help Windows developers, so it's quite difficult. I decided to get it working on Linux first. We didn't want to delay the release of a working feature on Linux, so there it is.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

pokoy

Thanks for the info, Matt. Fingers crossed it can be resolved without too much effort.

OldFlak

Quote from: Oshyan on November 14, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

Then when you render, either use a GI cache loading name that incorporates an appropriate sequence wildcard (e.g. %04d), or if this doesn't make sense to you, I believe if you specify just the 1st file and set the rest correctly, it should auto-load. So the number of files to blend should be set to 6, equal to the number of cube faces (and the number of GI cache files, of course), and then use "Equal Blend Within Range".

- Oshyan

@Oshyan
Just wanted to let you know I have got this working just fine using the GI cache method.

Not been able to work out the sequence wild card business - lol - so have to save and load next tile manually, but all sides are matching up nicely!

Can finally ditch Bryce and render some real nice skyboxes!!!

OldFlak....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

paq

Quote from: Suppybird on November 19, 2018, 06:36:01 AM

Hello,

I couldn't wait ... so I had to install Linux to try the exporter ... I was really pleased how fast and easy it takes to install Mint ... then of course I had to add the others software's I'm used too, like Clarisse and Houdini ... and again.
everything runs great, I have the feeling Clarisse is even more stable, as I didn't had a single crash since. I discovered that other of my softwares were also ported to Linux, like black magic fusion.

Honestly I don't really care about windows, mac, linux ... all I need it's a bunch of icons on my desk to run softwares, and a good file explorer. But lately I started to really be annoyed by windows 10 candycrush edition, and the lack of control I have on my computer about upgrades. I discovered than I couldn't even edit some options now, probably because I tried to disable all those telemetry stuffs.

Anyway, I know it's too much work for Planetside, but I still wish for a full linux Terragen flavour with a GUI now. Out of the box (and with my limited knowledge), the wine emulation don't work very well , I have extremely slow perfs in the software navigation and even the rendering. The native command line version works fine of course.

++
Gameloft