"The Ultimate Demo Reel Guide" By Allan Mckay

Started by DannyG, November 08, 2018, 09:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Cool!! Thanks for the link, Danny. I had a book about 3ds Max by Allan McKay years ago, and it was great.

WAS

I do find it incredible suspiciously odd, that while he claims all this about the industries hiring process and how he's done A and B and knows it all (not refuting that), the whole website is a basic HTML cascading style sheet with no reflection of the modern age besides being a viewport spanning template, but I've been making those since the early 2000s. Granted on his actual website the use of the template is much better, like a magazine, but that specific page is like a "Do it yourself in 90 days!" scam.

Additionally, if you saw his old classes, he continuously used ancient infomercial and do-it-yourself shady sales methods, "X easy block payments", using repeated buzzwords throughout pages (like "Buy Now!" "X Easy Payments", all tricks to kinda catch the laymen consumer.

This seems to be different, but I do wonder what it leads up to and if it's sorta the same. He's since removed the whole sections of his site that sold stuff leaving the basic tutorials area, I wonder why.

DannyG

Agreed he's got that whole Tony Robins motivational speaker/infomercial shtick going on, that said the guys got a serious resume with tons of free ebooks, podcasts with solid information .. yeah with the cheezy delivery but who cares, take what you can get from it. Now if he were selling all of these resources w/ a bunch of BS I would be suspicious, however its all free.  I am sure eventually this will lead to something for sale as you mentioned. (probably the more indepth courses). I will worry about that when it happens, until then I am not getting too uptight about it.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Hannes

However, what he wrote in this particular ebook about reels sounds absolutely reasonable. So, I don't have to take care about his other stuff, and as Danny said, take what you can get from it.

WAS

I was more wondering why the dramatic change in his approach. He used to offer all these services and than removed them all. Did he make enough money? Did he get into trouble?

As I said, not refuting his knowledge.

DannyG

I have been doing his free Venom tutorial series, the guy is very good. I wish I had a 2018 max to do some of the fluid simulations. Though I am stuck with my 2016 standalone I am still learning a bunch
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram