New challenge

Started by Dune, November 09, 2018, 06:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Testimony from the old days in real! Just impressive!

mhaze

Dune

Thanks.
It wasn't solved; I had to set the altitude of the middle boat 80cm different from the flanking boats that are on same heights. But I guess it has to do with the simple shape being used to get the gap in the embarkment (outer boats maybe just outside that area), and some flattening in a surface shader to get the beach smoothed, but I haven't checked it out yet. I don't think I used a compute terrain too. The altitude in terrain I used must have come from a place where that difference was still apparent. But it works.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 31, 2018, 02:25:59 AM
Thanks.
It wasn't solved; I had to set the altitude of the middle boat 80cm different from the flanking boats that are on same heights. But I guess it has to do with the simple shape being used to get the gap in the embarkment (outer boats maybe just outside that area), and some flattening in a surface shader to get the beach smoothed, but I haven't checked it out yet. I don't think I used a compute terrain too. The altitude in terrain I used must have come from a place where that difference was still apparent. But it works.

for situations like that I find dandling a Compute Terrain of the stack bottom and anchoring to that fixes most everything...thanks for that tip of long ago.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Yes, for pops, but these are 3 the same object, and not a final altitude, but altitude in terrain, or it can't be angled.

bobbystahr

D'oh, my reading comprehension is a bit off lately!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Horseman under construction... in a 2-minute landscape.

bobbystahr

The horse gets it, some times y gotta stop and smell the flowers heh heh heh...looking good Ulco.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

A really good horse! But as well I am fascinated by the damp earth that seems starting to dry and the scattered tufts of grass.

Dune

It's 'only' a DAZ millenium horse, but with Zbrush tail and manes.

René

The horse looks good, especially the gloss on the skin. The guy however has too much shine I think. By the way, I think people generally have a rather dark skin and hair in this otherwise beautiful series, if I may say so. :) But that could also be due to my screen. Have you tried to fake subsurface scattering? That is of course easier said than done. Maybe a bit of reddish translucency and luminocity.

Dune

I tend to give the people a bit of sweat and a tan, as they're mostly outdoor people, but it might be too much sometimes. I also tried translucency and luminosity, but that's hard to control in different light circumstances, so as a default I keep it off. Thanks, René. May have another go at it, especially for close-ups.

Edit: with a bit of faked SSS, but it's hardly (or not at all) visible. Hat off for more light on lighter face.

bobbystahr

Looking more real now... 8)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

This horse is really great! I like the subtle shininess and the bump showing the veins.

N-drju

Just got here. Agree with Hannes. The models look super - horse's skin reflectivity and vascularity is a nice step towards realism in this example.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"