New challenge

Started by Dune, November 09, 2018, 06:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Agree - horse looks great!

Jo Kariboo

Excellent horse! I very like the ground too!

Dune

Final of the embarkment breakthrough is finished, after 19.5 hours. Water at subdiv setting of 0.75 with RT clouds and 2 soft shadowed suns (one to get the dark soft areas under the boats) took most of the time. It almost stood still when doing the last bits of water, so I paused rendering and set clouds to no-RT and decreased samples in soft shadows from 6 to 3, also decrease subdiv settings again to 0.25. Then continued rendering. No crash, luckily, but I've tried that before, so I knew it'd work. Rendering immediately increased its pace.
This is a part, can't show all. I'm quite happy with the result, though I should have changed a few things (like the footsteps). Up to the next challenge, which will be interesting too (medieval boat-pulling gear).

DocCharly65

What a huge amount of detail! Cool and realistic idea with the footsteps! :)
Another masterpiece :)

mhaze

Love the ropes,footsteps and rusty junk.

bobbystahr

Awesome and worth the 19.5 hrs buuuuut...are the boot prints reflective of the footwear they had then...somehow I don't think the boots then had tread on the bottom...they look, to me, too modern Ulco.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

You're very observative, Bobby, and maybe right. I really don't know. Maybe they don't either  ;)

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

Quote from: bobbystahr on January 12, 2019, 11:42:43 AM
Awesome and worth the 19.5 hrs buuuuut...are the boot prints reflective of the footwear they had then...somehow I don't think the boots then had tread on the bottom...they look, to me, too modern Ulco.

That came into my mind as well instantly, though I like the footprints very much. They could be a bit more chaotic with a lot of just mud where people were walking through over and over again.
Nevertheless, this is nitpicking. Fantastic image and great details.

Kadri

Nice. I like especially the look of the shore.

Dune

I should have thought of that. Well, if they fall over it, all I need to do is re-render some part with the right soles (and some wild displacements). I hope not, because these people were a pain in the ....  8)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 12, 2019, 12:36:10 PM
I should have thought of that. Well, if they fall over it, all I need to do is re-render some part with the right soles (and some wild displacements). I hope not, because these people were a pain in the ....  8)

sorry man...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

The debris at the shoreline and the boot prints (realistic or otherwise :D ) do look great. I'm a little unclear on exactly what your render settings where, but it sounds like some of that may have been unnecessary from the beginning... But in any case I'm glad you got the render you need in the end.

- Oshyan

Jo Kariboo

I really like the attention to detail in this picture, the ropes in the boat and on the ground with the footprints, the reflection of one of the characters on the wet ground. An impressive and successful set up as in all your images.

Dune

Thanks guys, and no need for a sorry, Bobby. I'm glad you mentioned it. That's what the forum is about isn't it? Fresh eyes!
Regarding the render settings; Ray-traced clouds is default of course, detail 0.6 and AA6 is quite reasonable (even low), soft shadows with already a lower sample rate than default (6). I needed the extra sun with very soft shadow for the dark areas under the boats (but samples were also extremeley low at 6). The raised subdivision settings (0.25 to 0.75) I needed for some fish swimming in the lower area, but maybe the latter could have been left out or added in a small crop render. I also added another layer of RT reflections for the beach and little stream, but cut it off exactly where the water/foam is, so it doesn't overlap at all (which would have really raised render time), but the tiny displacements will have lengthened render time. Lessons learned.