Displaced Plane for River

Started by WAS, November 08, 2018, 03:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I'm trying to use a displaced plane for a river. Utilizing the terrain just before the river displacement so that it follows the terrain, and fills the river with water, but it doesn't follow the terrain right. Parts of the slopping arne't right and in the distance lakes are created (before the heightmap ends and it's an ocean).

Any ideas?  The ground is just ever-so-slightly not flat for just a lake object which I've tried to remedy by DK::CE shifts around areas it doesn't even effect (masked) it seems anyway.

Dune

WAS

Quote from: Dune on November 09, 2018, 03:41:55 AM
Use a sphere instead of a plane.

Yeah I figured that out. Still had issues with river disappearing at a distance, but I think may have been 0.6 MPD with 0.25 Ray detail. Did a higher quality render with Ray detail at 1 and looked ok. Think I'll fine tune the shader and release the project file.

Matt

If you use a Lake instead of a Sphere you can limit its size and it's easier to control the height.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Lake in this case.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on November 09, 2018, 11:07:00 PM
If you use a Lake instead of a Sphere you can limit its size and it's easier to control the height.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Lake in this case.

It will fill other divots in the terrain outside the river zone that you wouldn't want filled and it was having the worse issue at a distance (looked like an ocean starting or lake filling in the river valley).

Also the river setup could be use theoretically to create long rivers that IRL would stretch US states and would clip the curve of the planet I'd think, which is where I came to the sphere conclusion before Ulco's comment.

Matt

You can displace the Lake in the same way as a Sphere or Plane.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on November 10, 2018, 04:39:15 AM
You can displace the Lake in the same way as a Sphere or Plane.

Does it follow the curvature of the planet or will it clip out? I've always noticed it created huge lakes/oceans at a distance like it didn't. Which I figured was my issue with both the plane and lake.

Matt

Lake follows the curvature of the planet, like a planet or sphere would. Make sure a planet is connected to it on its Planet tab.