It's that time of year again

Started by Dune, November 12, 2018, 02:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I vaguely remember I had to rotate them, but you might as well try. They're free to download and have textures included. Wonderful model!

sjefen

Cool. Thanks.

Now get back to work with this scene.
I wanna see it finished  ;)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Hannes

That looks beautiful! I'd say I don't miss the shadows. Looks natural to me in these lighting conditions.

Antoine

This is really a beautiful scene ! I also like the subtle mist here and there in the sky. nice job already !

David

Dune

Another iteration. Changed some of the uglier branches of the tree, rotated it, dumped one of the herons, made a warped landing (UV is still to be done properly), and decreased reflectivity of the ice.
I think I like it better without any people.

Lady of the Lake

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

otakar

Super cool scene. I keep noticing one issue with the branches on your trees/stumps is that the most outward branches tend to narrow in width too much and result in a very sharp end to the branch. It must be down to the modeling software, but it's definitely noticeable. Not sure if there is a solution.

Dune

Thanks you for your critical view. I've thought about those branches, as I figured there's something not quite right indeed. Easy to change in the software, so there's no problem.

j meyer

Another point is the length of the roots. From what I have seen in nature a large tree like that
would not fall with sound and long roots. They should be broken and thus shorter.
Unless the ground has been washed away and exposed the roots to some extent. But even then
you would have broken and rotten ones.
Just a thought.
Otherwise very nice.

Dune

Good thought indeed, I might do some work on that trunk again....

KlausK

Very good looking!
I agree to what is mentioned about the tree.
Overall I find the roots a little bit too curvy as well. Which is in turn accentuated by being so pointy - but you already agreed to that.

Composition wise I would get rid of the left upper uprising thinny curvy root thing.
The falling diagonal from upper left to lower right framing the Heron and the farmhouse is great but I think it could do without that one stick.
It attracts too much attention of the viewers eye.

What about a few more bits and pieces of broken ice in the front of the tree - something ala Caspar David Friedrich :)
But maybe that would be too much.
Anyway, very cool image. All around the scenes you showed in the last weeks are just wow. You know your TG!

Cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Agura Nata

Wonderful look and work my friend!
"Live and Learn!"

Dune

Yes, I have to get to work on that piece of wood. And I did have thoughts about some pieces of ice in front, lyiong on the ice or sticking out, but I'd like to make these procedural. Nice to ponder about.... otherwise I'd just sculpt some pieces and pop it in.

DocCharly65

Very beautiful scene, Ulco!
Good luck with the log of wood. I see too that some branches or roots look too curvy, straight and smooth but I don't really remember to have seen something like this to be sure how it would be correct.