Recognize Shaders in Text

Started by WAS, November 13, 2018, 01:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I cool little function would be the ability to either automatically recognize functions in forum text, or be able to quote the shaders in the replies, which link to the wiki, saving going and finding the link. From what I've seen the wiki pages directly correspond to shader names.

Tangled-Universe

Yes some tech-sites use this too and it's very nice, but for me it's quite critical how obtrusive the links are.
If all are bold and underlined it's really annoying text to read, so some subtlety is definitely desirable if you'd ask me.
Say regular text is just black and shaders are in dark-red and clickable. Function nodes would be dark blue text and clickable. In line with TG's UI.
I like this idea, but I'm not sure whether the backbone of this forum would support this.

WAS

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 13, 2018, 08:37:11 AM
Yes some tech-sites use this too and it's very nice, but for me it's quite critical how obtrusive the links are.
If all are bold and underlined it's really annoying text to read, so some subtlety is definitely desirable if you'd ask me.
Say regular text is just black and shaders are in dark-red and clickable. Function nodes would be dark blue text and clickable. In line with TG's UI.
I like this idea, but I'm not sure whether the backbone of this forum would support this.

It supports whatever you want. Entirely customizable.

And yeah I was thinking of just an off-colour link, like text is black so the links may be just a lighter gray, maybe a hover effect that switches to a shader colour. I too don't like obtrusive looking links, especially when just an optional reference and not deliberately linked by the user.

Oshyan

Would be nice but would require custom development. Not sure we want to invest in the current forum platform since it's so limited otherwise anyway, and not very modern or forward-looking. I wonder if Discourse has that kind of functionality...

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 13, 2018, 02:55:22 PM
Would be nice but would require custom development. Not sure we want to invest in the current forum platform since it's so limited otherwise anyway, and not very modern or forward-looking. I wonder if Discourse has that kind of functionality...

- Oshyan

Not natively, but the functionality has been added by Dandv. Discourse is really limited for this type of community. There is so much you'll have to customize just to handle TG images properly, especially for viewing, let alone file management. This is why I suggested HumHub which is geared towards firms and multimedia like TG's community and workplace. Files, images, schedules, wikis, etc, all on board already with HumHub.

https://github.com/dandv/discourse-post-process

Additionally, the functionality to add this is super simple. We'd just need an array established with all the function names, the URL to the wiki will always be the same, just adding the shader name encoded with underscores for spaces. The only real check is making sure the text isn't part of a code block or something.