A bug about Daniil Kamperov::Classic Erosion? And make recommendations.

Started by gao_jian11, November 16, 2018, 11:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gao_jian11

I found that reading a large erosion data file in the new terragen4.3.16 caused a crash and a problem with storing the file. Is it a bug? It is suddenly thought that if classic erosion can export the calculated height map, it must be very useful to avoid calculating a lot of time of erosion. It can also be processed in other software (such as ps or world creator). Is it feasible? I want to export the height map. It is technically simple.
Please forgive me in English.

WAS

To clarify, is this bug happening when you save, and than manually reload the file?

mhaze

Yes, I've had the same problem! Just not had enough time to investigate and report it.

gao_jian11

Yes, manual loading will also crash. There is a chance that a small erd file will be successfully loaded and large files will inevitably crash.

WAS

Quote from: gao_jian11 on November 17, 2018, 08:15:39 AM
Yes, manual loading will also crash. There is a chance that a small erd file will be successfully loaded and large files will inevitably crash.

So, I eroded the largest resolution overnight, and saved it this morning, and manually loaded it, it loaded fine. I than closed TG and double clicked the project to let it load with TG, it also loaded just fine. So I'm a little confused what may be causing this. Hopefully Danill can spot something. Additionally, I made the size of the heightmap to 100000 to ensure it was large. File came out to be 2.67gb.

Could it possibly be memory? I am only running on 4GB right now (one of my DIMMs failed during a cloud render), but I also have over 25GB swap on a 32GB dedicated drive, so it may have used my have used my commit and stabilized an issue that should have crashed me due to memory.

Other than memory it could be a change to the SDK conflicting with the plugin.

WAS

Update: So I have downloaded TG 4.3 to see if I can reproduce the bug now that I am on the same version, and fortunately, I cannot.

TG loads the large erosion just fine, even manually loading it. Additionally, I can handle the ERD and a TER of the same land at the same resolution (though TG's copy is only 5xxmb due to I am guessing lack of maps and extra data).

Total TG is holding 5.3GB of Memory, so it is using 1.5GB Commit and, so if I save/load anything at this point I experience extremely slow wait times while Windows handles files from RAM and SWAP.

So I'm not sure what the issue is on your system. How big are the erosions?

Edit: I do notice some odd behavior. I loaded another project, my "Highland Mountains", and the plugin loaded the terrain, however, in the actual plugin it did not load the file according to it's "Read Now" input field, which was empty. So I loaded the file manually to see if this is where the bug is encountered, but it was able to load the 50km erosion though.

gao_jian11

Thanks to WASasquatch! Maybe this is not a universal phenomenon? Retesting today shows that the .erd file is invalid, there is no read action, and it will crash if it is successfully read. My file version is as shown. The operating system is win10 Chinese version.

WAS

Have you tried a new ERD? Like you mentioned, perhaps that ERD just somehow saved improperly. I also have v1.1.1 of DK::CE. Also tried a couple old erosions that were made on previous versions.

Daniil

Quote from: gao_jian11 on November 16, 2018, 11:07:35 PM
  I found that reading a large erosion data file in the new terragen4.3.16 caused a crash and a problem with storing the file. Is it a bug? It is suddenly thought that if classic erosion can export the calculated height map, it must be very useful to avoid calculating a lot of time of erosion. It can also be processed in other software (such as ps or world creator). Is it feasible? I want to export the height map. It is technically simple.
Please forgive me in English.
Hello,

did you use "rivers mode" in this scene? If yes, then it was a bug that is fixed in new version.

Daniil